- Columbia University School of Law, J.D., 2001
Journal of East European Law, Managing Editor
- Canisius College, B.A., 1998, summa cum laude
Bar & Court Admissions
- Admitted to practice law only in the states listed above.
Elia is a partner in the Vorys Akron office, where he practices in the finance, energy and real estate group. He counsels clients on various transactions, including financing transactions, debt restructurings, real estate and construction matters, sales and purchases of financially distressed businesses and sales and purchases of loans. Elia has significant experience representing creditors and other parties in bankruptcy proceedings, receiverships and commercial litigation matters and regularly advises financial institutions with respect to creditors’ rights law and Article 9 of the Uniform Commercial Code. Elia has also worked on several energy infrastructure matters, including on financing transactions and other agreements associated therewith.
Elia is a member of the Turnaround Management Association.
Elia has spoken at seminars on loan documentation, loan restructurings, receiverships, bankruptcies and lender liability.
Elia received his J.D. from Columbia University School of Law, where he was a Harlan Fiske Stone Scholar and the managing editor of the Journal of East European Law. He received his B.A. summa cum laude from Canisius College.
Professional and Community Activities
- Salvation Army of Summit County, Advisory Board, 2014-present
Honors & Awards
- Ohio Super Lawyers Rising Stars, Bankruptcy and Creditor/Debtor Rights, 2005 and 2007, 2010-2016
- The Best Lawyers in America, Bankruptcy and Creditor Debtor Rights/ Insolvency and Reorganization Law, 2017-2020
- Harlan Fiske Stone Scholar, 1998-2001
- 8/15/2018One hundred and thirteen lawyers from Vorys, Sater, Seymour and Pease LLP were recently selected by their peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America® 2019.