- University of Cincinnati College of Law, J.D., 2004
University of Cincinnati Law Review, Associate Member, 2002; Student Articles Editor, 2003
- Kenyon College, B.A., 2001, magna cum laude, Phi Beta Kappa
Bar & Court Admissions
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Ohio
- Admitted to practice law only in the states listed above.
Beth is a partner in the Vorys Cincinnati office and a member of the litigation practice. Her practice focuses on controversies related to wealth transfer, including estate, trust, real estate, and closely-held business disputes, and the exercise of fiduciary duties by trustees, executors, administrators, guardians, and powers of attorney. She represents both corporate and individual trustees and beneficiaries, guardians and other individuals in both probate courts and common pleas courts throughout Ohio. Beth also has experience handling ERISA litigation and FINRA arbitration proceedings. Beth is an efficient, practical, and passionate advocate for her clients.
Career highlights include:
- Successful trial defense of bank trustee against multi-million dollar breach of fiduciary duty claims regarding trust administration and investments.
- Successful defense and summary judgment for bank trustee against multi-million dollar breach of fiduciary duty claim involving an Irrevocable Life Insurance Trust (ILIT).
- Defense, mediation, and successful settlement of intense family dispute regarding use of funds from multi-million dollar generation-skipping trust.
- Defense, mediation, and successful settlement of claims against an individual trustee and Power of Attorney against claims of self-dealing.
- Successful representation of Florida resident in partition of family farm located in Butler County, Ohio.
- Successful trial defense and settlement of claims regarding family farm in Fayette County, Ohio, including defense against co-parceners’ claims and prosecution of partition action; obtained rare physical partition of farm land, which allowed client to maintain home farm.
- Representing clients in counties across Ohio including: Hamilton, Montgomery, Butler, Warren, Clinton, Fayette, Delaware, and Coshocton counties.
Beth is a frequent speaker at bar associations and professional programs at the national, state and local level regarding estate, trust and fiduciary litigation. She is also an active member of the firm’s trust and estate litigation subgroup.
Beth is a member of the American Bar Association, the Ohio State Bar Association and the Cincinnati Bar Association. Beth is also an appointed member of the Ohio State Bar Association’s Estate Planning, Trust & Probate Section Council. The Council evaluates the current state of Ohio law relevant to estate, probate, and trust practitioners and their clients and develops, writes, and lobbies for relevant legislative change.
Beth has been named an Ohio Super Lawyers Rising Star in estate and trust litigation, the only Ohio attorney in this class, each year since 2014.
Beth received her J.D. from the University of Cincinnati College of Law, where she was an associate member and student articles editor of the University of Cincinnati Law Review. She received her B.A. magna cum laude from Kenyon College, where she was a member of Phi Beta Kappa.
Professional and Community Activities
- Great Parks Foundation, Investment Committee member, 2013-Present
- Episcopal Church of the Redeemer, Vestry Board member, 2015-Present
- Ohio State Bar Association Estate Planning, Trust & Probate Section Council, Member, 2017-Present
- "The Conflicts Conflict: Representing Fiduciaries (Not the Estate) after Cincinnati Bar Association v. Robertson," September 2017, Ohio State Bar Association: Marvin R. Pliskin Advanced Estate Planning Seminar
- "Robertson and Conflicts of Interest in Trust and Estate Administration," August 2017, Ohio State Bar Association: All Ohio Forum
- "No-Contest Contests," July 2017, American Law Institute Continuing Legal Education (ALI CLE) Representing Estate and Trust Beneficiaries and Fiduciaries Conference
- "When the Gloves Come Off: Practical Tactics for Dealing with the Delinquent and Defending the Diligent Trustee," July 2017, American Law Institute Continuing Legal Education (ALI CLE) Representing Estate and Trust Beneficiaries and Fiduciaries Conference
- "Will Contests: Direct and Cross, In Action," March 2017, Columbus Bar Association 34th Annual Advanced Estate Planning Institute
- "Will and Trust Contests, Claims of Undue Influence," and "Armor for the Trustee," December 2016, Mahoning County Bar Association
- "Conflicts of Interest: Trust and Estate Administration," October 2016, Warren County Bar Association
- "Will Contests: Direct and Cross, In Action," July 2016, American Law Institute Continuing Legal Education (ALI-CLE) Representing Estate and Trust Beneficiaries and Fiduciaries Conference
- "Basics of Estate Administration," June 2016, Ohio State Bar Association
- "Estate Planning and Probate Law Update," April 2016, Ohio State Bar Association All-Ohio Legal Forum
- "Fixing 'Broken' Trusts," April 2016, Dayton Bar Association Estate Planning, Trust and Probate Law Committee Monthly Meeting
- "Newcomer v. National City Bank: Guidance for Ohio Trustees." May 2015, Clinton County Bar Association
- "Releases and Their Challenges: A Panel Discussion of the Benefits, Limitations and Litigation of Trustee Releases," July 2014, American Law Institute Continuing Legal Education (ALI CLE) Representing Estate and Trust Beneficiaries and Fiduciaries Conference
- "Fiduciary Litigation Update," May 2014, Ohio State Bar Association: 2014 Annual Convention
- "Armor for the Trustee: Limitation of Liability Provisions and Releases of Trustee," March 2014, Dayton Bar Association Estate Planning and Probate Institute, Warren County Bar Association
Honors & Awards
- Ohio State Bar Foundation 2017-2018 Community Service Award for Attorneys 40 & Under District 1
- Ohio State Bar Foundation, Fellow (Class of 2018)
- National Diversity Counsel Top 15 Business Women in Ohio Award 2018
- Ohio Super Lawyers Rising Stars, General Litigation, 2013; Estate and Trust Litigation, 2014-2019
- Lawrence Maxwell Advocacy Prize, University of Cincinnati College of Law, 2002
- Class of 1958 Merit Scholarship, University of Cincinnati College of Law, 2001
- College of Law Honors Scholarship, University of Cincinnati College of Law, 2001
- Distinguished Academic Scholarship, Kenyon College, 1997
- 1/4/2016Vorys announced that Blake Beachler, Jennifer Dunsizer, Angela Gibson, Rick Grady, Jonathan Ishee, Paul Kerlin, Natalia Steele and Elizabeth Weinewuth have been named partners of the firm.
- 5/8/2015Vorys attorneys Dan Buckley and Beth Weinewuth will be presenting at the Clinton County Bar Association of May 8, 2015.
- 3/25/2015Vorys attorneys Lisa Forbes and Beth Weinewuth presented to the Catholic Foundation’s Professional Advisors Group on March 25, 2015.
- Spring 2017Wilson v. Lawrence: Ohio Supreme Court Upholds Strict Interpretation of Statute Governing Presentment of Claims Against Estates; Rejects Argument of Substantial ComplianceCreditors of Ohio estates have little room for error under a decision handed down by the Supreme Court of Ohio on April 19, 2017.
- 8/27/2014On August 22, 2014, the Sixth District Court of Appeals affirmed on all counts a Williams County probate court’s September 2012 decision in favor of PNC Bank, National Association against successor trustee and beneficiaries’ various breach-of-fiduciary-duty claims. The decision in Newcomer v. National City Bank, (2014-Ohio-3619; 2007 Ohio App. LEXIS 6365 (Ohio App. 6th Dist.)) provides critical guidance for Ohio trustees on four key points of law.
- March/April 2013Vorys attorneys Daniel Buckley, Lisa Babish Forbes, Elizabeth Weinewuth and Elizabeth Davis Conway authored an article for the Probate Law Journal of Ohio titled "Important Guidance for Ohio Trustees: Newcomber V. National City Bank."