- University of Akron School of Law, J.D., 1988
- Ohio Northern University, B.S., Pharmacy, 1983
Bar & Court Admissions
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Ohio
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Ohio
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
- Admitted to practice law only in the states listed above.
Mark is a partner in the Vorys Akron office and a member of the technology and intellectual property group. His practice focuses on all facets of intellectual property protection, including patent, trademark, copyright, trade secrets, and intellectual property litigation.
Mark provides IP counsel to many Fortune 1000 companies across the U.S. and around the world, helping companies create IP strategies for the procurement and protection of their IP rights. He develops company policies concerning protection of trade secrets, internal and external invention disclosure policies, inventor recognition programs, non-competition, confidentiality, and non-solicitation policies and agreements for employees and third parties. He also develops and manages systems for periodic review of company IP portfolios (domestic and international). In addition, Mark has experience in evaluation and counseling concerning intellectual property rights acquired or divested in mergers and acquisitions; and in evaluation, counseling and negotiations on behalf of clients concerning transfer of intellectual property rights, including assignments and licenses.
Mark has participated in the enforcement and defense of a wide range intellectual property matters, including patent, trademark and copyright infringements, and misappropriation of trade secrets. His notable experience in this area includes serving as the primary attorney responsible for the management of international trademark procurement and enforcement efforts. This role included the coordination of a worldwide litigation docket; participation in proceedings before the U.S. Customs Service for protection of trademarks and copyrights; and expert witness testimony on patent procurement and litigation issues.
Mark's experience in the entertainment industry is extensive. He has represented a variety of celebrities and athletes in the areas of product endorsement, brand licensing, development and protection of celebrities as brands, as well as in the enforcement of trademark and brand infringements worldwide.
Mark is a member of the International Trademark Association, the American Intellectual Property Law Association, the American Bar Association, the Cleveland Intellectual Property Law Association and the Intellectual Property Owners Association. He was also a practicing pharmacist for nearly seven years.
Mark received his J.D. from the University of Akron School of Law and his B.S. in pharmacy from Ohio Northern University.
Professional and Community Activities
- St. John/St. Paul Endowment Fund, President
- Community Hall Foundation (dba Akron Civic Theatre), Capital Campaign Co-Chair 2018-2021; Board of Trustees 2007-2014; President 2011-2014
- International Trademark Association, Law Firm Committee, Team Leader for the Disaster Preparedness/Business Continuity Project, 2014; Pro Bono Committee 2014; Law Firm Committee Team Leader 2012-2013; Trademark Professionals Subcommittee
- Cleveland Intellectual Property Law Association, Past President
- Leadership Akron, Class XXI, 2004-2005
Honors & Awards
- The Best Lawyers in America, Akron Trademark "Lawyer of the Year," 2021
- IAM Strategy 300 - The World’s Leading IP Strategists, 2018, 2019, 2020
- The Best Lawyers in America, Akron Litigation - Intellectual Property "Lawyer of the Year," 2020
- The Best Lawyers in America, Akron Patent Law “Lawyer of the Year,” 2017-2018
- The Best Lawyers in America, Akron Litigation - Intellectual Property and Trademark Law "Lawyer of the Year," 2016
- The Best Lawyers in America, Intellectual Property Law, Patent Law, and Trademark Law, 2008-2022
- Chambers and Partners, Leading Lawyer in Intellectual Property, 2013-2021
- Ohio Super Lawyers, Intellectual Property, 2005-2020
- Martindale-Hubbell AV Peer Review Rated
- 8/15/2018One hundred and thirteen lawyers from Vorys, Sater, Seymour and Pease LLP were recently selected by their peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America® 2019.
- 5/4/2018Vorys, Sater, Seymour and Pease is pleased to announce that 32 of the firm’s attorneys have been recognized among the leading practitioners in the country in the 2018 edition of Chambers USA.