- The Ohio State University Michael E. Moritz College of Law, J.D., 1985
Ohio State Law Journal, Member, 1983-1985; Executive Editor, 1984-1985
- Dartmouth College, B.A., 1980
Bar & Court Admissions
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Ohio
- Admitted to practice law only in the states listed above.
Webb is a partner in the Vorys Columbus office and a member of the commercial and energy practice groups. He has extensive experience advising and assisting domestic and international clients with the structure, negotiation and documentation of purchases, sales, licenses and leases of personal and real property, including oil and gas, and matters involving most chapters of the Uniform Commercial Code (UCC). He also manages and works in the firm’s oil and gas title opinion practice, which focuses primarily on properties located in the Utica shale play.
Webb’s representation includes public and private manufacturers, energy companies and service providers. He facilitates their general business needs, including business and asset acquisitions, sales and restructurings, governance, financing, and the formation and proper maintenance of different types of business entities. He also has represented non-profits in projects related to governance, fundraising, board development and other organizational matters.
Career highlights include:
- Representing a large public restaurant and food service company as outside general counsel
- Representing a large non-profit hospital as outside general counsel
- Establishing and managing the firm’s mineral title and opinion practice
- Working for nine months on-site at the headquarters of a global manufacturer as an “embedded” assistant general counsel. Work involved direct handling and disposition of a broad variety of commercial, litigation, real estate, bankruptcy and labor matters
- Representing an original equipment manufacturer (OEM) in the creation of its purchase, bailment, confidentiality and related agreements for use with its worldwide suppliers, as well as negotiating on behalf of the OEM regarding these contracts
- Representing a large service company in the creation of contracts for the purchase of various services needed at its more than 500 locations, including the creation of instructions and training of employees regarding the proper use of such contracts
- Representing a large retailer in creation of its purchasing documents and negotiation of those documents with its worldwide vendors
Webb is a member of the American Bar Association, the Ohio State Bar Association, the Columbus Bar Association and the Ohio Oil and Gas Association.
Webb is a frequent speaker regarding the purchase and sale of goods and services and issues relating to oil and gas development. Most recently (2015) he was invited to speak at the Ohio Oil and Gas Law Conference regarding "Royalty vs. Mineral Reservations and Associated Issues." Prior to that he was invited by the Ohio State Bar Association to speak across Ohio on “Creating Good Contracts – Experiences of a Contract Practitioner: Contract Preparation and Formation.”
Webb received his J.D. from The Ohio State University Michael E. Moritz College of Law where he was a member and the executive editor of the Ohio State Law Journal and a recipient of the Denis B. Eastman Memorial Award in 1985 for outstanding service to the Journal. He received his B.A. from Dartmouth College.
Professional and Community Activities
- Nationwide Children's Hospital, Board of Trustees, 2000-2012
- Research Institute at Nationwide Children’s Hospital, Board of Trustees, 1998-2013
- Franklin County Hospital Commission, Chairman, 2005-2015; Commissioner, 2000-2015
- Columbus School for Girls, Board of Trustees, 2011-present
- Green Lawn Cemetery, Board of Trustees, 1994-2005; President, 2000-2005
- Prevent Child Abuse Ohio, Advisory Board, 2002-2009
- Jefferson Township Civic Association, 1990-present
- ProMusica Chamber Orchestra, Board of Trustees, 1987-1993
Honors & Awards
- The Best Lawyers in America, Corporate Law, 2013-2022
- Columbus CEO, Top Lawyers in Columbus, 2010-2021
- Martindale-Hubbell AV Peer Review Rated
- Business First, Forty under 40, 1997
- 8/15/2018One hundred and thirteen lawyers from Vorys, Sater, Seymour and Pease LLP were recently selected by their peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America® 2019.