- Vanderbilt University Law School, J.D., 1982
- Duke University, B.S., 1979
Bar & Court Admissions
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the 6th Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the 8th Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the 11th Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Central District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Michigan
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Ohio
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Ohio
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Pennsylvania
- Admitted to practice law only in the states listed above.
Jon is a partner in the Vorys Columbus and Cincinnati offices and a member of the labor and employment group. Jon defends clients in federal and state court in litigation arising from employment discrimination laws, the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) and Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA), as well as other statutory and common law claims. Jon also is involved in all aspects of traditional labor law, including practice before the National Labor Relations Board, union avoidance, defense of unfair labor practice charges, collective bargaining negotiations, and labor arbitrations. In addition, he counsels clients on issues pertaining to employee handbooks, reductions-in-force, terminations, employment agreements, severance agreements, and other aspects of the employer-employee relationship.
Career highlights include:
- Successfully defending employers in many federal and state court actions brought pursuant to statutory and common law claims, including at the appellate level
- Successfully negotiating numerous collective bargaining agreements in several different industries
Jon is a member of the Ohio State Bar Association, the Columbus Bar Association and the Columbus Bar Foundation.
Jon has spoken frequently on topics related to sexual and other forms of harassment, employment discrimination, employment at will, workplace investigations, union avoidance, exemptions under the Fair Labor Standards Act and issues arising from the Family and Medical Leave Act.
Jon received his J.D. from Vanderbilt University Law School and his B.S. from Duke University.
Professional and Community Activities
- International Association of Defense Counsel, Member, 2019
- Ballet Met, Board of Trustees, Member, 2004-2011; Executive Committee, 2006-2011
- Columbus Speech and Hearing Center, Member, Board of Trustees, 1992-2000; President, 1996-1997
- Buckeye Ranch, Board of Trustees, 1992-1998
Honors & Awards
- The Best Lawyers in America, Columbus Litigation - Labor and Employment "Lawyer of the Year," 2020
- The Best Lawyers in America, Employment Law - Management, 2012-2022
- The Best Lawyers in America, Labor Law - Management, 2013-2022
- The Best Lawyers in America, Litigation - Labor & Employment, 2013-2022
- Chambers and Partners, Leading Lawyer in Labor & Employment, 2010-2016
- Columbus CEO, Top Lawyers in Columbus, 2010-2021
- Martindale-Hubbell AV Peer Review Rated
- Fellow of the Columbus Bar Foundation since 1994
- Business First, 40 Under 40, 1996
- 8/15/2018One hundred and thirteen lawyers from Vorys, Sater, Seymour and Pease LLP were recently selected by their peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America® 2019.