- The Ohio State University Michael E. Moritz College of Law, J.D., 1987, with Honors, Order of the Coif
- Bowling Green State University, B.S., cum laude
Bar & Court Admissions
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Ohio
- U.S. Tax Court
- Admitted to practice law only in the states listed above.
Mark is a partner in the Vorys Columbus office and a member of the tax group. He practices in the area of estate planning, with an emphasis on estate, gift, and generation-skipping transfer tax savings, estate and trust administration, and probate law. He has considerable experience in drafting and formulating estate plans and is actively involved in all aspects of estate administration for individuals and families. Mark also has extensive experience advising tax-exempt organizations.
Mark is a member of the Ohio State Bar Association and the Columbus Bar Association. Mark also participates in – and Vorys is an advisor member of – the Family Office Exchange, an authority on matters related to legacy wealth management.
Mark has lectured on a variety of estate and trust topics, including charitable giving and the fundamentals of estate planning, for the Cincinnati Bar Association, the Columbus Tax Conference and The Ohio State University Medical Center.
Mark received his J.D. from The Ohio State University Michael E. Moritz College of Law with honors where he was a member of the Order of the Coif. He received his B.S. cum laude from Bowling Green State University.
Mark is a former member of the Editorial Advisory Board of the Probate Law Journal of Ohio.
Professional and Community Activities
- The MACBEA Foundation, Director and Treasurer, 2010-present
- The Columbus Foundation, Legal Advisory Committee, 2000-present
- The Wexner Center Foundation, Secretary and ex-officio member of the Board of Trustees, 2005-present
- Ohio State University Sports Medicine Advisory Board Member, 2016-present
- I Know I Can, Board Member, 2001-2018; President, 2010 and 2011
- Athletic Club of Columbus, Director, 2012-2018
Honors & Awards
- The Best Lawyers in America, Columbus Tax Law "Lawyer of the Year," 2018
- The Best Lawyers in America, Columbus Non-Profit/Charities "Lawyer of the Year," 2013, 2020
- The Best Lawyers in America, Trusts and Estates, 2006-2020
- The Best Lawyers in America, Non-profit/Charities Law, 2007-2020
- The Best Lawyers in America, Tax Law, 2007-2020
- Columbus CEO, Top Lawyers in Columbus, 2010-2018
- Martindale-Hubbell AV Peer Review Rated
- Business First, The Best Lawyers in Central Ohio, Trusts and Estates, Non-Profit/Charities Law and Tax Law, 2008-2010
- Business First, Forty Under 40, 1998
- Columbus Junior Chamber of Commerce, Outstanding Young Citizens, 1994
- Fellow of the Columbus Bar Foundation since 2006
- 8/15/2018One hundred and thirteen lawyers from Vorys, Sater, Seymour and Pease LLP were recently selected by their peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America® 2019.