- The Ohio State University Michael E. Moritz College of Law, J.D., 1978, summa cum laude, Order of the Coif
Ohio State Law Journal, Member, 1976-1978, Associate Editor, 1977-1978
- Miami University, B.A., 1975, magna cum laude, Phi Beta Kappa
Bar & Court Admissions
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Ohio
- Admitted to practice law only in the states listed above.
Dave is a partner in the Vorys Columbus office and a member of the tax group. He practices in the areas of estate planning, estate and trust administration and representation of tax-exempt organizations.
Career highlights include:
- Serving as head of the firm’s trust and estate/wealth transfer practice
- Being recognized as a Fellow of the American College of Trust and Estate Counsel
- Passing the Florida Bar exam and being admitted to the Florida bar 37 years after graduating from law school
- Being selected by Best Lawyers as the 2016 and 2018 Lawyer of the Year in Trusts and Estates for Columbus, Ohio
Dave is a member of the American Bar Association, the Ohio State Bar Association, the Columbus Bar Association and the Florida Bar. Dave also participates in – and Vorys is an advisor member of – the Family Office Exchange, an authority on matters related to legacy wealth management.
Dave has lectured extensively on trust and estate topics. He served as chair of the 1993 and 1998 Columbus Tax Conferences.
Dave received his J.D. summa cum laude from The Ohio State University Michael E. Moritz College of Law where he was a member of the Order of the Coif. He was a member and the associate editor of the Ohio State Law Journal. He received his B.A. magna cum laude from Miami University where he was a member of Phi Beta Kappa and Phi Eta Sigma.
Professional and Community Activities
- Foundation of The Catholic Diocese of Columbus, Board of Trustees, 2014-2016
- The Boys and Girls Clubs of Columbus, Board of Directors, 1995-2004, Honorary Board Member, 2005-present
- Worthington Youth Boosters, President, 2001-2002
Honors & Awards
- Fellow of the American College of Trust and Estate Counsel since 1996
- Chambers & Partners, High Net Worth Guide, Leading Lawyer in Private Wealth, 2016-2019
- The Best Lawyers in America, Columbus Trust and Estate Law "Lawyer of the Year," 2016, 2018
- The Best Lawyers in America, Trusts and Estates, 1995-2020
- Ohio Super Lawyers, Estate Planning and Probate, 2004-2016
- Columbus CEO, Top Lawyers in Columbus, 2010-2018
- Martindale-Hubbell AV Peer Review Rated
- Fellow of the Columbus Bar Foundation since 2006
- Fellow of the Ohio State Bar Foundation since 1996
- 8/15/2018One hundred and thirteen lawyers from Vorys, Sater, Seymour and Pease LLP were recently selected by their peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America® 2019.