- University of Houston Law Center, J.D., 1979
- University of Texas, B.A., 1975
Bar & Court Admissions
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of Texas
- U.S. District Court Northern District of Texas
- U.S. District Court Southern District of Texas
- U.S. District Court Western District of Texas
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit
- U.S. Supreme Court
- Admitted to practice law only in the states listed above.
Dick is a partner in the Vorys Houston office and a member of the litigation group. He has tried over 60 cases in many forums in the United States. Over the past 39 years working as a successful trial lawyer, Dick has handled cases in many states, including Texas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Florida, New York, and California, and many kinds of disputes, including complex commercial litigation, breach of contract, business break-ups, fraud, breach of fiduciary duty, insurance, environmental, labor and employment, intellectual property, securities, personal injury and professional liability matters.
In addition to his complex commercial trial practice, Dick counsels clients and handles cases regarding employment contracts, terminations, and separations, claims of discrimination and retaliation, breach of non-competition/non-solicitation/confidentiality agreements, theft of trade secrets. He also performs independent investigations for companies on a variety of issues. Dick is committed to finding prompt and cost effective solutions to the client's problems. He is known for his ability to understand complex matters, identify the key questions and issues, and develop, execute, and assess strategies to accomplish the client's goals.
Dick counsels clients and handles cases regarding contamination from legacy oil field production, industrial and refining operations. For example, he has been lead counsel for numerous parties in the Tex Tin Superfund Site litigation and in a dispute between major oil companies over legacy oil field operations in Louisiana.
During his career, Dick has held several leadership positions in the Federal Bar Association’s South Texas Chapter including serving as the Chapter’s president, treasurer, secretary and national delegate. He is also a member of numerous other professional organizations. Dick has been a member of the Garland Walker Inn of Court since 1987, and serves on its board. He was the executive director for 9 years. Additionally, Dick served as the Fifth Circuit Trustee on the National Inns of Court Foundation from 2007-2015. He is a fellow of the Houston Bar Foundation and Texas Bar Foundation. He is chairman of the District 4 State Bar of Texas Grievance Committee.
Dick has authored and lectured at numerous legal education programs. He has written papers and given lectures on such subjects as expert discovery, corporate investigations, legal privileges and ethics. He has also completed Harvard Law School’s program on Negotiation and Leadership 2017 Harvard Negotiation Master Class and the University of Houston A.A. White Dispute Resolution Center’s comprehensive course in Commercial Arbitration (Domestic and International) and obtained a certificate in Advanced Arbitration Skills.
Dick received his J.D. from the University of Houston Law Center and his B.A. from the University of Texas.
Professional and Community Activities
- Garland Walker American Inn of Court, Executive Director, 1993 – 2002
- Garland Walker Inn, Member and Executive Committee, 1993 - Present
- American Inns of Court Foundation, Fifth Circuit Trustee, 2007 - 2015
- Federal Bar Association, South Texas Chapter, Board Member
- College of State Bar of Texas, 1993 - 2001
- District 4 State Bar of Texas, Grievance Committee, Member, 1998 – 2003, Committee Chair, 2000 - 2003, Chairman District, 2017 - present
- State Bar of Texas, Member
- American Bar Association, Member
- Houston Bar Association, Professionalism Committee Member, 2016-2017; Secretary, 1989 – 1990; Consumer Law Section, 1989 – 1990; Appellate Section's Committee on Appellate Delay Reduction, 2000
- Houston Bar Association, Houston Lawyer Referral Service Board of Trustees, 2010 - 2011
- Houston Bar Association Speakers Bureau (topics include importance of jury service and law as a career)
- Committee to Revise the ADR Rules of the Local Rules of the United States District Court for the Southern District of Texas and Standing ADR Panel (responsible for approval of mediators on court's approved list), Member, 2000 - Present
- Southwest YMCA Youth Soccer Coach, 1998 - 2002
Honors & Awards
- Martindale-Hubbell AV Peer Review Rated
- Founding Fellow, American Inns of Court
- Fellow, Houston Bar Foundation
- Fellow, Texas Bar Foundation
- The Best Lawyers in America, Recognized by Best Lawyers, 2003 - 2016
- The Best Lawyers in America, ADR, 2007 - 2016
- The Best Lawyers in America, Commercial Litigation, 2008 - 2019
- The Best Lawyers in America, Litigation - Labor and Employment, 2011 - 2019
- The Best Lawyers in America, Arbitration, 2011 - 2019
- The Best Lawyers in America, Mediation, 2011 - 2019
- Texas Super Lawyers, Business Litigation, 2007-2012, 2014-2018
- Best Attorneys in Texas, 2012
- 8/15/2018One hundred and thirteen lawyers from Vorys, Sater, Seymour and Pease LLP were recently selected by their peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America® 2019.