- University of Florida Fredric G. Levin College of Law, LL.M., 1976
- The Ohio State University College of Law, J.D., 1972, summa cum laude, Order of the Coif
Ohio State Law Journal, Editor, 1971-1972
- Wittenberg University, B.A., 1969, cum laude
Bar & Court Admissions
Ron is a retired partner in the Vorys Columbus office where he was a member of the tax group and chair of the firm's trusts, estates and wealth transfer subgroup. He has a broad range of experience in federal income and estate tax planning as a result of representation of closely held and family-owned businesses. He has planned and negotiated the sales and acquisitions of corporate and partnership entities and planned for reorganizations, redemptions, and admissions of new members. Ron's practice in personal planning for business owners included development of wills, trusts, insurance planning, grantor retained annuity trusts, qualified personal residence trusts, grantor trusts, charitable trusts and partnership structures.
Ron also has extensive experience in the tax aspects of the oil and gas industry. He served as the chair of the Tax Committee of the Ohio Oil and Gas Association for 15 years in the 1980 – 1990’s. In recent years, this knowledge has assisted clients involved with the exploration and development of the Utica Shale formation in eastern Ohio. Ron has assisted clients on structures that obtain capital gain rather than ordinary income, drafting of tax partnerships with developers, and personal planning for gift and estate purposes.
Career highlights include:
- Assisting a variety of family-owned companies in planning for succession ownership
- Assisting high net worth families in developing and implementing gift and estate planning strategies
Ron is a member of the American Bar Association, the Ohio State Bar Association, The Florida Bar, the Columbus Bar Association and the Ohio Oil and Gas Association. In addition, Ron participates in – and Vorys is an advisor member of – the Family Office Exchange, an authority on matters related to legacy wealth management.
Ron has presented at seminars on requirements for the use of private split dollar insurance agreements.
Ron received his LL.M. from the University of Florida Fredric G. Levin College of Law. He received his J.D. summa cum laude from The Ohio State University College of Law, where he was the editor of the Ohio State Law Journal and a member of the Order of the Coif. He received his B.A. cum laude from Wittenberg University and was a member of Pi Sigma Alpha.
Professional and Community Activities
- The Catholic Foundation, Trustee, 2005-2013; Chair 2012-2013
- Ohio Oil and Gas Association, Member, Tax Committee
Honors & Awards
- Columbus CEO, Top Lawyers in Columbus, 2013-2018
- The Best Lawyers in America, Trusts and Estates, 2009-2019
- The Best Lawyers in America, Tax Law, 1983-2019
- Fellow of the Columbus Bar Foundation since 1985
- Ohio Super Lawyers, Tax, 2004-2006
- Martindale-Hubbell AV Peer Review Rated
- 8/15/2018One hundred and thirteen lawyers from Vorys, Sater, Seymour and Pease LLP were recently selected by their peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America® 2019.