- University of Cincinnati College of Law, J.D., 1996, Order of the Coif
University of Cincinnati Law Review, Associate Member, 1994-1995, Editorial Board, 1995-1996
- Thomas More College, B.A., 1993, summa cum laude
Bar & Court Admissions
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Kentucky
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Ohio
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Ohio
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Kentucky
- Admitted to practice law only in the states listed above.
- The Honorable R. Guy Cole, Jr., United States Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit
Eric is a partner in the Vorys Cincinnati office and a member of the litigation practice group. His practice is focused on civil litigation and white collar criminal defense work and encompasses complex commercial, banking, insurance, data breach, construction, and intellectual property litigation.
Career highlights include:
Appointed on four occasions by the Kentucky Governor as a Special Justice to the Kentucky Supreme Court
Represented multiple defendants in one of the largest patent infringement multidistrict litigation cases in history, which involved approximately 200 defendants and a portfolio of more than fifty patents in the field of automated call center technology relating to automated attendant, automated call distribution, voice response unit, computer telephone integration and speech recognition
Successfully defended large financial institution in dozens of cases in state, federal and bankruptcy courts, arising out of the failure of a large commodities dealer
Obtained substantial recoveries, including seven-figure amounts, for clients in intellectual property and complex commercial litigation
Defeated class certification, prevailed on summary judgment and defended judgment through the United States Supreme Court on behalf of a large financial institution in a case asserting breach of contract and statutory claims related to the imposition of checking account fees
Successfully defended large life insurers in various putative class actions in state and federal courts asserting claims for bad faith and unjust enrichment
Successfully defended large life insurers in putative class action alleging misrepresentations and breach of contract in connection with the sale of annuity products
Successfully represented several large investors in actions alleging securities law violations and misrepresentations in connection with the sale of residential mortgage backed securities
Defeated class certification in action alleging sexual harassment by a large automobile parts supplier
Obtained summary judgment on behalf of a large financial institution in commercial loan dispute alleging losses of more than $25 million
Obtained dismissal on behalf of a large financial institution in an action alleging losses of more than $100 million as a result of alleged breach of contract
Successfully represented media company at trial in action alleging multimillion-dollar damages from alleged breach of contract and misrepresentations in connection with the sale of multiple radio stations
Prevailed in a leading case in the Sixth Circuit that defined a bank's obligations to its customers under Ohio's adoption of Article 3 of the Uniform Commercial Code
- Representing banking clients in a variety of significant data breach cases involving national merchants, including a breach that was described at the time as potentially the largest retail security breach ever to have occurred in the United States.
Eric has presented on the issues of data security, privacy and breach, and on payment card penalties and class action litigation arising out of data breaches to various organizations, including the American Bar Association, the Kentucky Bar Association, the Kentucky appellate judiciary, the Association of Corporate Counsel, the Kentucky Department of Libraries and Archives, the Association of Certified Fraud Examiners and the Chief Information Security Officer Executive Summit. Eric has also presented seminars regarding recent developments in the law of intellectual property, management of litigation in the workplace, the duties of design professionals in construction cases, and the damages available to plaintiffs against architects and engineers in construction cases.
Eric teaches information privacy and data protection law, and intellectual property law -- including patent, copyright and trademark law -- as an adjunct professor at the Northern Kentucky University – Salmon P. Chase College of Law.
Eric is AV Preeminent® Peer Review Rated™ by Martindale-Hubbell.
Eric received his J.D. from the University of Cincinnati College of Law, where he was a member of the Order of the Coif. He was also an associate member of the University of Cincinnati Law Review as well as a member of the editorial board. Eric received his B.A. summa cum laude from Thomas More College.
Eric clerked for the Honorable R. Guy Cole, Jr. of the United States Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit.
Professional and Community Activities
- Cincinnati Bar Association, Character and Fitness Committee, Member, Chair (2013-2014); Chair-Elect (2012-2013); Vice-Chair (2011-2012); Secretary (2010-2011)
- Salmon P. Chase Inn of Court, Program Committee Member, 2010-Present
- Cincinnati Academy of Leadership for Lawyers Fellows Committee, Board Member, 2005-Present
- Telecommunications Board of Northern Kentucky, Board Member, 2008-2011
- Boone County Public Library, Board of Trustees, President (January 2015 – present), Secretary (July 2013 – December 2014)
- International Association of Privacy Professionals, Member
- Kentucky Bar Association, Member
- American Bar Association, Intellectual Property Law and Litigation Sections, Member
Honors & Awards
- Martindale-Hubbell AV Peer Review Rated
- The Best Lawyers in America, Commercial Litigation, 2013-2020
- Ohio Super Lawyers, General Litigation, 2014-2019
- Ohio Super Lawyers Rising Stars, General Litigation, 2005-2007, 2009, 2011-2013
- Leading Lawyer in Civil Litigation, Cincy Magazine, 2008
- Leading Lawyer in Business Litigation, Cincy Magazine, 2010-2014
- 8/15/2018One hundred and thirteen lawyers from Vorys, Sater, Seymour and Pease LLP were recently selected by their peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America® 2019.