- The Ohio State University Michael E. Moritz College of Law, J.D., 1992, summa cum laude, Order of the Coif
Ohio State Law Journal, Staff Member, 1990–1991, Managing Editor, 1991–1992
- Harvard University, B.A., 1989, cum laude
Bar & Court Admissions
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Ohio
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Ohio
- Admitted to practice law only in the states listed above.
Lisa is a partner in the Vorys Columbus office and a member of the health care and litigation groups. Her practice focuses on health information technology issues including: health information privacy and security under HIPAA/HITECH, state confidentiality laws and 42 C.F.R. Part 2; breach response; implementation of electronic health records; and qualification for meaningful use incentives.
She also has significant experience with state certification and licensing issues, fraud and abuse compliance counseling and litigation, NPDB reporting issues, performance improvement/peer review counseling and litigation, and medical staff governance issues.
Lisa is an editor of the blog HealtHITech Law. The blog provides interesting and pertinent analysis of a variety of issues involving health information technology (HIT), specifically developments in HIT privacy and security including HIPAA/HITECH compliance and the interplay of state privacy laws, HER implementation and use challenges, review of new HIT tools and status of health information exchanges.
She is a member of the American Health Lawyers Association (AHLA) HIT practice group, a co-chair of the AHLA Electronic Health Records Affinity Group and a member of the Columbus Bar Association's Health Care Committee.
Lisa has presented seminars on numerous topics including HIPAA and HITECH, meaningful use incentives, confidentiality of medical and mental health records, mediation, expert witnesses, depositions, Ohio’s proposed adoption of mandatory reporting for pro bono work, and successfully balancing a legal career and a family.
She is a member of Vorys' Electronic Discovery and Information Governance Committee.
Lisa has significant experience in areas of health care, commercial and business litigation.
Career highlights include:
- Successfully arguing before the Supreme Court of Ohio
- Successfully arguing before the 8th and 10th District Court of Appeals of Ohio
- Significant trial and hearing experience in the United States District Courts in Ohio, Delaware and New York, the Ohio state courts and administrative agencies
- Successfully defending numerous clients in summary judgment proceedings
- Successfully mediating numerous business and commercial litigation disputes
Lisa received her J.D. summa cum laude from The Ohio State University Michael E. Moritz College of Law where she was a member of the Order of the Coif and a staff member and a Managing Editor of The Ohio State Law Journal. She received her B.A. cum laude from Harvard University.
Professional and Community Activities
- Columbus Bar Association, President, 2017- 2018; Board of Governors, 2011-present
- Legal Aid Society of Columbus, President, Board of Directors, 2009; Board Member, 2003-present; Programs Committee Chair, 2005-2008
- Ohio State Legal Services Association, Board of Directors, 2011-Present
- CASA of Franklin County, Guardian Ad Litem, 1996-2014
- The Bodiker Board, 2010-2011
- Junior League of Columbus, Sustainer, 2002-present; Advisory Council Chair, 2001-2002; Advisory Council, 2000-2001; Recording Secretary 1999-2000; Membership Team Vice President, 1998-1999; Provisional Co-Chair, 1997-1998; Provisional Co-Chair Elect, 1996-1997
- CBA Professional Ethics Committee, Chair, 2015-2017; Member, 2004-present
- CBA Homeless Project 2000-present
- Lawyer to Lawyer Mentoring Project, 2009-present
- Leadership Columbus, Class of 1997
Honors & Awards
- Chambers and Partners, Recognized Practitioner in Health Care, 2018
- Ohio Super Lawyers, Health Care, 2017-2019Columbus CEO, Top Lawyers in Columbus, 2015-2018
- Martindale-Hubbell AV Peer Review Rated
- The Best Lawyers in America, Health Care Law, 2015-2019
- The Best Lawyers in America , Health Care Litigation, 2019
- Heart of CASA Award, 2010
- Ohio Super Lawyers Rising Stars, General Litigation, 2005-2007
- Fellow of the Columbus Bar Foundation, 2001-present
- Junior League of Columbus President’s Award, 2001-2002
- “Forty Under 40” Award, 2001
- Commitment to CASA Award, 1998 and 2001
- Columbus Jaycees Outstanding Young Citizen Award, 1998
- 8/15/2018One hundred and thirteen lawyers from Vorys, Sater, Seymour and Pease LLP were recently selected by their peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America® 2019.
- 5/4/2018Vorys, Sater, Seymour and Pease is pleased to announce that 32 of the firm’s attorneys have been recognized among the leading practitioners in the country in the 2018 edition of Chambers USA.