- Northwestern University School of Law, J.D., 1992
Northwestern University Journal of International Law and Business, Articles Editor, 1991-1992
- The Ohio State University, B.A., 1989, summa cum laude, with Distinction, Phi Beta Kappa
Bar & Court Admissions
- Admitted to practice law only in the states listed above.
Scott Powell is a partner in the Vorys Columbus office and is co-chair of the firm's Strategic Operations and Planning Committee. Scott has more than 27 years of experience as a federal tax attorney and is the former chair of the firm’s probate and tax group. He now works closely with Vorys eControl, a nationally recognized practice that develops customized, comprehensive solutions to protect and grow brands’ value by controlling sales in the age of eCommerce.
Although Scott’s practice has focused on federal taxation, he also has extensive experience working with governmental and quasi-governmental entities as general counsel as well as advising clients with respect to the operation, purchase, and sale of corporate aircraft.
Scott received his bachelor’s degree summa cum laude with distinction from The Ohio State University. In addition to being a Phi Beta Kappa, Scott was a three-year letterman on the Ohio State football team. He went on to receive his J.D. from Northwestern University School of Law where he was the articles editor of the Northwestern University Journal of International Law and Business.
Scott is also a member of the Columbus Bar Association.
He has lectured on the topics of mergers, acquisitions, divestitures, employee fringe benefits, taxation of litigation settlements, and wage and payroll reporting.
Professional and Community Activities
- The Ohio State University, Department of English Alumni Advisory Committee, 2007-2015
- Mental Health of America of Franklin County, 2004-2010; President, 2008-2009
- Friendship Village of Columbus, Secretary, 2000-present
- The Unverferth House Board of Trustees, 1998-2006
- Phoenix Theatre Circle, Board of Trustees, 2007-2011; Vice President, 2009
- New Life Community Outreach, Board of Trustees, 2011-2013
- Netcare Access, Board of Directors, 2013-present; Vice President, 2018-present
- Melissa's House, Board of Directors, 2017-present
Honors & Awards
- The Best Lawyers in America, Tax Law, 2015-2020
- Ohio Super Lawyers Rising Stars, Tax, 2005-2006
- Fellow of the Columbus Bar Foundation since 2005
- 8/15/2018One hundred and thirteen lawyers from Vorys, Sater, Seymour and Pease LLP were recently selected by their peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America® 2019.