- Case Western Reserve University School of Law, J.D., 1984; National Trial Team, 1983-84
- Amherst College, B.A., 1978, cum laude
Bar & Court Admissions
- United States Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit
- United States District Court for the Southern District of Ohio
- United States District Court for the Northern District of Ohio
- Admitted to practice law only in the states listed above.
Bill is a partner and immediate past chair of the firm’s litigation practice group. His practice focuses on complex business matters where, for over 30 years, he has led trial teams, litigated and tried a wide variety of cases on behalf of public and private corporations and their directors and officers, including class actions and injunctions in federal and state courts. As lead trial lawyer, he has litigated on diverse legal topics, including corporate, banking, fiduciary, commercial and securities laws.
Bill regularly appears in both federal and state trial and appellate courts. He has tried more than 40 jury and bench trials and has appeared multiple times before the Ohio Supreme Court, United States Court of Appeals for Sixth Circuit and numerous state courts of appeal. He recently argued before the Ohio Supreme Court, where he successfully defended a business issue of company-wide significance for a Fortune 50 company.
Bill is a fellow of the American College of Trial Lawyers and is listed in Chambers and Partners, Ohio Super Lawyers and the Best Lawyers in America.
Career highlights include:
- Leading trial teams in successfully defending financial institutions in nation-wide class actions involving LIBOR interest rate issues
- Leading trial court and appellate teams representing financial institution in federal case involving application of federal regulations to credit card spending limits
- Serving as victorious oral advocate before the Supreme Court of Ohio in business dispute for a Fortune 50 company
- Representing the State of Ohio as one of its special appointed prosecutors in a 22 week white-collar criminal jury trial involving securities claims
- Leading trial team in representing a public company and its board of directors in breach of fiduciary duty litigation arising out of merger transaction
- Leading trial team in defense of corporate officer in derivative litigation involving breach of fiduciary duty claim
- Representing large public university in landmark contract case creating favorable precedent in the Supreme Court of Ohio
- Representing at trial and court of appeals large public university in case involving termination of high- profile basketball coach
- Lead counsel at trial and multiple appeals through the Supreme Court of Ohio for local government in zoning dispute with pornographic movie theater
- Leading trial teams on behalf of plaintiffs in numerous catastrophic injury/death cases, including summary jury trial, resulting in multiple million dollar verdict and settlements
- National counsel for U.S. Olympic governing body for the sport of boxing
Bill is a frequent lecturer on attorney-client privilege issues, internal investigations and on trial advocacy issues, including presentations to the Ohio State Bar Association on “How to Handle the Obstreperous Lawyer in Depositions” and “Real Evidence for Trial Attorneys.”
Bill is a member of the American Bar Association, the Ohio State Bar Association, and the Columbus Bar Association.
Bill received his J.D. from Case Western Reserve University School of Law. He received his B.A. cum laude from Amherst College.
Professional and Community Activities
- American College of Trial Lawyers, Fellow
- Judicial Conference of the United States Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit, Life Member
- Columbus Chamber of Commerce, Board of Trustees, 2011- present
- Bexley Education Foundation, Chair, Board of Trustees, 2007-2012
- Central Ohio Transit Authority, Chair, Board of Trustees, 2002-2009
- Trial Evidence for the Ohio Practitioner Seminar (OSBA)
- Privilege. Privacy. Preservation. Managing Risks with Electronic Communications Seminar (OSBA)
- Taking and Defending Effective Depositions Seminar (OSBA)
Honors & Awards
- Chambers and Partners, Leading Lawyer in Litigation: General Commercial, 2013-2021
- Columbus CEO, Top Lawyers in Columbus, 2010-2020
- Ohio Super Lawyers, Top 50 Super Lawyers in Columbus, 2010
- Ohio Super Lawyers, General Litigation, 2008-2020
- The Best Lawyers in America, Bet-the-Company Litigation, 2022
- The Best Lawyers in America, Commercial Litigation, 2006-2013, 2015-2022
- The Best Lawyers in America, Eminent Domain and Condemnation Law, 2017-2020, 2022
- Martindale-Hubbell AV Peer Review Rated
- 8/15/2018One hundred and thirteen lawyers from Vorys, Sater, Seymour and Pease LLP were recently selected by their peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America® 2019.
- 5/4/2018Vorys, Sater, Seymour and Pease is pleased to announce that 32 of the firm’s attorneys have been recognized among the leading practitioners in the country in the 2018 edition of Chambers USA.