Partner - Washington
Of Counsel - Washington
Partner - Washington
Partner - Cincinnati
Partner - Akron
- Bankruptcy and Insolvency
- Consumer Finance
- Corporate Governance and Director Training
- Corporate Transactions and M&A
- Data Privacy, Security and Information Technology
- Export Finance
- Fiduciary Products and Services
- General Counsel
- Government Enforcement and Internal Investigations
- Intellectual Property
- Labor and Employment, Executive Compensation and Employee Benefits
- Real Estate
- Regulatory Compliance
- Securities Law Compliance
Our intellectual property attorneys have extensive experience advising financial services companies in the areas of trademarks, copyrights, patents, service marks and other related matters, including:
- M&A transactions. We regularly represent financial institutions, buyers, sellers and venture capitalists with due diligence on the value, legal status, validity, enforceability and utility of the intellectual property at issue, negotiate with opposing parties to achieve favorable terms, and then draft the documents necessary to complete the transaction.
- IP as collateral. We assist clients in identifying and profiting from their patent and other intellectual property assets through the development of appropriate licensing strategies and royalty structures. We perform due diligence in financing transactions and handle appropriate USPTO recordations.
- Branding and trademarks. We offer cost-effective and forward-looking strategies for the branding process, whether the matter involves a multi-jurisdictional roll-out for a multi-national financial institution or the protection of a new mark for a start-up enterprise.
- Patent troll issues. Vorys has been at the forefront of assisting clients in the financial services industry in patent infringement lawsuits brought forth by patent trolls. We have experience defending clients against patent suits alleged to cover standard functions, such as ATMs, mobile and online banking platforms and data security methods.
- Licensing. We have significant transactional experience and handle multimillion-dollar licensing transactions for technology, trademarks, web applications, patents and software.
- Infringement. We have successfully challenged infringers in many different forums using a variety of techniques and have successfully defended our clients against challenges to their intellectual property. We have worked with some of the largest businesses in the country to implement anti-counterfeiting strategies and represent them in litigation involving these issues. Strategies we have assisted in implementing make use of new tools to stave off infringers and cyber squatters.
- Trade secrets and confidentiality. We assist our clients in protecting and policing the proper use of customer and client lists, processes, formulas, product plans, designs, research data, programs, marketing strategies, financial data, pricing strategies and policies, and any other business or technical information that has economic value.