- Case Western Reserve University School of Law, J.D., 1984
Case Western Law Review, articles editor, 1984
- John Carroll University, B.A., 1980, cum laude
Bar & Court Admissions
- Admitted to practice law only in the states listed above.
Tony is the managing partner of the Vorys Cleveland office and a member of the litigation practice group. He represents public and private companies and their officers and directors in a broad array of complex business disputes with a focus on financial services, commercial, securities, corporate governance, and M&A matters. Tony also represents clients in arbitration before various tribunals and regularly serves as lead counsel in defense of companies in class actions in federal and state courts.
Recent Experience Highlights:
- Representation of national bank in securing reversal of class certification order
- Representation of bank and its board of directors in securing dismissal of securities claims in litigation arising from merger transaction
- Representation of a Fortune 500 financial institution in defense of securities litigation arising out of its underwriting of mortgage-backed securities
- Representation of acquiring corporation in post-merger securities litigation
- Representation of acquiring corporation in disputes arising under stock purchase agreement
Representation of public company's board of directors in derivative litigation arising from a going private transaction
- Representation of privately held corporation in fraudulent conveyance litigation
- Representation of public company and its board of directors in breach of fiduciary duty litigation
- Representation of board of directors of a public company in connection with an internal investigation
- Representation of investment banking firm in litigation arising from merger
- Representation of closely held corporation in shareholder dispute
Tony has given numerous presentations on attorney-client privilege and work product immunity, internal corporate investigations, criminalization of civil conduct, class action defense strategies, trends in medical staff relations and trial practice strategies.
Tony received his J.D. from Case Western Reserve University School of Law, where he was articles editor of the Case Western Law Review. He received his B.A. cum laude from John Carroll University.
Professional and Community Activities
- John M. Manos Inn of Court, Master Bencher and Member of the Executive Committee
- Judicial Conference of the United States Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit, Life Member
- Judicial Conference of Ohio's Eighth Appellate Judicial District, Life Member
- Case Western Reserve University School of Law, Member, Society of the Benchers, 2017-present
- Case Western Reserve University Law Alumni Association, Board, 2013-present
- Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation, Cleveland Chapter, Director and Member, 2006-2012
- Leadership Cleveland, Class of 2009
- Judicial Conference of Ohio's Eighth Appellate Judicial District, Co-Chair, 2016
Honors & Awards
- Chambers and Partners, Leading Lawyer in Litigation: General Commercial, 2006-2018
- The Best Lawyers in America, Commercial Litigation, 2006-2019
- Ohio Super Lawyers, Top 100 Super Lawyers in Ohio, 2009-2015
- Ohio Super Lawyers, Top 50 Super Lawyers in Cleveland, 2009-2015
- Ohio Super Lawyers, Business Litigation, 2004-2019
- Cleveland's Top Rated Lawyers, American Lawyer Media, 2012
- Inside Business, Northeastern Ohio's Leading Lawyers, 2001-2010
- The Best Lawyers in America, Business Litigation, 2001-2002
- Martindale-Hubbell AV Peer Review Rated
- 8/15/2018One hundred and thirteen lawyers from Vorys, Sater, Seymour and Pease LLP were recently selected by their peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America® 2019.
- 5/4/2018Vorys, Sater, Seymour and Pease is pleased to announce that 32 of the firm’s attorneys have been recognized among the leading practitioners in the country in the 2018 edition of Chambers USA.