- The Ohio State University Michael E. Moritz College of Law, J.D., 1990, summa cum laude, Order of the Coif
Ohio State Law Journal, managing editor, 1989–1990
- Lehigh University, B.S.E.E., 1984, cum laude
Bar & Court Admissions
- District of Columbia
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Ohio
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Ohio
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
- Admitted to practice law only in the states listed above.
Bill is a partner in the Vorys Washington, D.C. office and a member of the technology and intellectual property group. His practice focuses on patent and trademark litigation and appellate practice. He has litigated cases in many United States District Courts, as well as the U.S.P.T.O. Trademark Trial and Appeal Board, and the United States International Trade Commission. In addition, Bill consults in patent and trademark prosecution matters and in intellectual property aspects of corporate transactions. He is also a member of the Vorys eControl team.
Career highlights include:
- Prevailing in a trademark opposition matter before the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board, in which the Board issued a lengthy precedential opinion sustaining our client’s opposition to a product configuration trademark registration sought by a key competitor
- Obtaining a preliminary injunction on behalf of a clothing retailer client in a trademark counterfeiting action
- Obtaining summary judgment of non-infringement on behalf of a client manufacturer of optical lens products
- Participating on a team that successfully represented a major semiconductor manufacturer in patent litigations pertaining to landmark semiconductor automation processes
- Serving as temporary in-house intellectual property counsel to a major greeting card publisher
- Obtaining summary judgment on behalf of a major retailer in patent infringement cases brought by non-practicing entities
Bill is a member of the American Intellectual Property Law Association. Bill is admitted to practice in Ohio and the District of Columbia.
Bill received his J.D. summa cum laude from The Ohio State University Michael E. Moritz College of Law, where he was a member of the Order of the Coif and the managing editor of the Ohio State Law Journal. He received his B.S.E.E. cum laude from Lehigh University.
Professional and Community Activities
- Intellectual Property Owners Association, Member, 2017