- The Ohio State University Michael E. Moritz College of Law, J.D., 1976, summa cum laude, Order of the Coif
- Ohio University, A.B., 1973, summa cum laude, Phi Beta Kappa
Bar & Court Admissions
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Ohio
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Ohio
- Several Other U.S. District Courts
- Admitted to practice law only in the states listed above.
Jon is a retired partner in the Vorys Columbus office and served as the firm’s partner in charge of operations until his retirement. He was a member of the labor and employment practice group and represented employers in all aspects of labor and employment, including equal employment rights, wage and hour regulation, union relations, maintaining union-free status, strategic and policy planning, and training. Jon worked with large public companies with respect to individual employment agreements, non-competition and confidentiality issues, and severance/reduction-in-force matters. He also counseled government contractors as to affirmative action requirements.
Career highlights include:
- Negotiating collective bargaining agreements with numerous unions on behalf of employers in the steel, auto, glass, construction, retail, service and health care industries, and handling hundreds of labor arbitrations pursuant to these collective bargaining agreements
- Defending employers in numerous wage/hour collective actions and class action discrimination cases
- Working with large, high-profile employers in maintaining union free status
Jon is a member of the Ohio State Bar Association and the Columbus Bar Association.
Jon has given presentations to automotive industry suppliers concerning union organizing tactics and strategies, to hospitals concerning supervising problem employees, and to employer associations concerning Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA) and wage/hour developments and issues.
Jon received his J.D. summa cum laude from The Ohio State University Michael E. Moritz College of Law, where he was a member of the Order of the Coif. He received his A.B. summa cum laude from Ohio University, where he was a member of Phi Beta Kappa.
Honors & Awards
- Columbus CEO, Top Lawyers in Columbus, 2010-2021
- The Best Lawyers in America, Columbus Employment Law - Management "Lawyer of the Year," 2019
- The Best Lawyers in America, Employment Law - Individuals, 2012-2021
- The Best Lawyers in America, Employment Law - Management, 2012-2021
- The Best Lawyers in America, Labor Law - Management, 2012-2021
- The Best Lawyers in America, Litigation - Labor & Employment, 2012-2021
- The Best Lawyers in America, Labor and Employment Law, 2007-2011
- Ohio Super Lawyers, Employment and Labor, 2004-2014
- Martindale-Hubbell AV Peer Review Rated
- Fellow of the Columbus Bar Foundation since 1991
- 8/15/2018One hundred and thirteen lawyers from Vorys, Sater, Seymour and Pease LLP were recently selected by their peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America® 2019.