- Northern Kentucky University Chase College of Law, J.D., 2008, cum laude
- Northern Kentucky Law Review, Associate Editor
- Xavier University, M.Ed., 2002
- St. Joseph's College, B.S., 1997
Bar & Court Admissions
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Kentucky
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Ohio
- Admitted to practice law only in the states listed above.
- The Honorable Patrick T. Dinkelacker, Hamilton County Court of Common Pleas, 2005-2006
- The Honorable Alex M. Triantafilou, Hamilton County Court of Common Pleas, 2007
J.B. is a partner in the Vorys Cincinnati office and a member of the litigation group. Recognized for his work in complex commercial litigation matters, J.B. has particular experience with information privacy/data breach litigation, business litigation involving closely-held or limited liability corporations, all areas of workers' compensation litigation, probate/estate litigation and intellectual property litigation. These specific focus areas led to J.B. being an adjunct professor at the NKU – Chase College of Law teaching in the areas of information privacy and intellectual property. J.B. also handles cases in insurance and product liability/toxic tort litigation. He devotes a portion of his practice to real property tax valuation disputes and appeals, including regularly litigating such matters throughout the state of Kentucky.
His notable experience includes:
- First chair jury trial experience in a contract dispute that resulted in a verdict for the client well-below settlement value
- First chair bench trial experience to enforce contract provision that ended in verdict for the client exceeding $200,000.00
- Represented banking clients in data breach cases involving national merchants
- Advises business clients of all sizes about securing sensitive data and complying with federal privacy regulations.
- Litigates and advises business clients on all areas of Ohio's Workers' Compensation system
- Second chair bench trial experience in a misappropriation of trade secrets case valued at $7,000,000.00 that resulted in a defense verdict for client and affirmed on appeal: Torbeck v. Indus. Mfg. Co., 2015-Ohio-3041
- Second chair bench trial experience in a family shareholder dispute
- Member of trial team that litigated and negotiated the ultimate sale of a limited liability corporation exceeding $90,000,000.00
- Second chair on trial team who represented a large community bank against lender liability claims with potential exposure in excess of $5,000,000.00
- Member of Product Liability trial team that successfully negotiated a favorable outcome for a client whose product was accused of causing the death of four individuals where liability exceeding $20,000,000.00
- Member of Trust and Estate trial team that successfully negotiated the disbursement of an estate exceeding $7,000,000.00 in value and involved the jurisdiction of two states
- Member of Trust and Estate trial team that successfully negotiated the disbursement of a $10,000,000.00 Estate on behalf of client involved in state court action with family members
- Member of Trust and Estate trial team that successfully negotiated the resolution of a claim against a financial institution that could have exceeded $12,000,000.00
- Obtained summary judgment on behalf of a financial institution in excess of $25 million that involved over 30 lien claimants and lender liability claims
- Successfully obtained injunctive relief for client only one hour before a scheduled board meeting would have terminated the client’s veto rights in limited liability company
- Member of numerous toxic tort trial teams that have received favorable outcomes and obtained summary judgment for clients involving asbestos and flavoring cases throughout Ohio and Kentucky
J.B. teaches information privacy and data protection law, and intellectual property law as an adjunct professor at the Northern Kentucky University – Salmon P. Chase College of Law.
J.B. is regularly asked to speak to college students and current law students about the practice of law. He regularly volunteers his time for mock trial competitions.
J.B. is a member of the Cincinnati and Northern Kentucky and Kentucky State Bar Associations.
J.B. received his J.D. cum laude from Northern Kentucky University Chase College of Law and served as associate editor for the Northern Kentucky Law Review. He received his M.Ed. from Xavier University and his B.S. from St. Joseph's College where he was a member of the football team and first player in school history to be named to the Division II National All-Star Game.
Professional and Community Activities
- Adjunct Professor of Law (Information Privacy Law and Intellectual Property Survey Course), NKU-Chase College of Law, 2014-present
- Northern Kentucky Chamber of Commerce, Member, 2008-present
- Salmon P. Chase Inn of Court, Executive Board Member, Treasurer and Secretary, 2010-present
- National Football Foundation, Greater Cincinnati Chapter, Board of Trustees
- Cincinnati Bar Association CALL Class XVIII
- Participant in restarting the Hamilton County Youth Court
Honors & Awards
- Rebecca Bloom Bettman and John G. Carlisle Memorial Award, 2005
- West Outstanding Scholastic Achievement Award, 2005
- CALI Excellence for the Future Awards in Contracts II, 2005
- CALI Excellence for the Future Awards in State Constitutional Law, 2007
- W. Jack Grosse Moot Court Competition- Best Respondents Brief, 2006
- The Best Lawyers in America, Commercial Litigation, 2018-2022
- 8/15/2018One hundred and thirteen lawyers from Vorys, Sater, Seymour and Pease LLP were recently selected by their peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America® 2019.