- The Ohio State University Michael E. Moritz College of Law, J.D., 1989, with Honors
- Westminster College, B.A., 1986, magna cum laude
Bar & Court Admissions
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Ohio
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Ohio
- Admitted to practice law only in the states listed above.
John is a partner in the Vorys Columbus office. He is a leader of the firm's consumer products and retail law practice, and chair of the firm's privacy & data security practice. John is also a member of the litigation group and Vorys eControl.
John has 30 years of experience representing retail clients. In that time, he has developed a holistic approach to overcoming the constantly evolving challenges of the retail industry. John’s unique, comprehensive strategies have a proven record of helping his clients achieve their business objectives.
John’s practice includes defending and advising national retailers on matters related to privacy and cybersecurity, consumer protection laws, retail operations, advertising, loyalty and gift card programs, pricing, marketing, promotions, payment mechanisms, waste management, theft prevention, employment and wage issues, compliance, class actions and Attorney General actions, and commercial disputes. John makes it his business to become familiar with all legal matters relating to retail companies. He has significant experience handling all aspects of litigation arising from these areas, including class actions throughout the country. Additionally, John serves as general counsel for nationwide retailers, helping them with day-to-day decisions while maintaining consistency with their long-term strategic goals.
John is a frequent speaker on various retail topics including privacy, cybersecurity, advertising, promotions, and sweepstakes. He has also given presentations on a variety of topics related to privacy and data security to professional associations, including the Association of Corporate Counsel (Central Ohio Chapter).
Career highlights include:
- Defending a national grocery chain in class action litigation with respect to significant data breaches
- Advising and defending multiple financial institutions with respect to data breaches
- Advising and defending a national retailer with respect to a data breach
- Advising a regional grocery chain with respect to the theft of personal information
- Advising an energy company with respect to a large data breach
- Serving as a data breach coach for several large national retailers
- Defending national retailers in TCPA cases throughout the country
- Defending a national energy company in a TCPA class action
- Representing national retailers in anti-counterfeiting cases across the country
- Obtaining a preliminary injunction on behalf of a national clothing client in a trademark counterfeiting action
- Advising retail clients on national advertising campaigns and promotions
- Defending a large automobile dealership in a putative state class action involving truth in lending, retail installment sales, fair credit reporting and various state law claims
- Representing a national retail chain in investigations by the New York City Department of Consumer Affairs into alleged deceptive return and exchange practices
- Representing a national retail chain in claims brought by the Ohio Attorney General arising from claims of fraud, deceptive practice and violations of various state laws
- Representing a national retail chain in a breach of lease claim resulting from damage caused by Hurricane Katrina
- Defending national retailers in putative class actions brought in courts throughout the nation arising from wage and hour claims and involving consumer protection matters
John has been recognized by the Best Lawyers in America and Ohio Super Lawyers for his legal work.
John is a member of the American Bar Association, the Ohio State Bar Association and the Columbus Bar Association.
Professional and Community Activities
- The Ohio State University Alumni Association, Lifetime Member
- American Cancer Society, Franklin County Advisory Board of Directors, Past President, 2006-2008
- Westminister College, Board of Trustees, 2004-2009
- Ohio State Bar Association, Council of Delegates, 2002-2014
- Children’s Hospital, Development Board, Annual Campaign, Past Chair
- The Ohio State University, Student Loan Foundation, Board of Trustees, Past Member; Alumni Award for Distinguished Teaching, Selection Committee, 2010-2012
- Scioto Country Club, Board of Trustees, President, 2014
- Upper Arlington High School Booster Club, Vice President, 2014
Honors & Awards
- Columbus CEO, Top Lawyers in Columbus, 2010-2021
- The Best Lawyers in America, Commercial Litigation, 2009-2022
- Fellow of the Columbus Bar Foundation since 1998
- Fellow of the Ohio State Bar Foundation since 2001
- Ohio Super Lawyers, Business Litigation, 2004-2016, 2018-2019
- Columbus Bar Association Community Service Award, 1999
- Columbus Junior Chamber of Commerce 10 Outstanding Young Citizens, 1998
- Columbus Junior Chamber of Commerce Distinguished Service Award, 1998
- The Ohio State University William Oxley Thompson Alumni Award, 1998
- Martindale-Hubbell AV Peer Review Rated
- 8/15/2018One hundred and thirteen lawyers from Vorys, Sater, Seymour and Pease LLP were recently selected by their peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America® 2019.
- 5/16/2016Financial Services Alert: Narrow Win For Spokeo at The U.S. Supreme Court: Plaintiffs Must Demonstrate Concrete Harm Even For Statutory ViolationsIn a highly-anticipated opinion, this morning the U.S. Supreme Court overturned the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals’ decision in Spokeo, Inc. v. Robins.