- Yale Law School, J.D., 1979
Yale Law Journal, editor, 1978–1979
- The Ohio State University, B.A., 1976
Bar & Court Admissions
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Ohio
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Ohio
- Admitted to practice law only in the states listed above.
- The Honorable Gilbert S. Merritt, United States Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit, 1979-1980
John, a partner in the Vorys Columbus office, is a member of the litigation group and head of the firm's appellate practice subgroup. His practice focuses on civil litigation and appeals. His experience includes a wide range of appeals involving constitutional, statutory, regulatory and common law issues; the trial of numerous cases; and leadership of the pretrial discovery and motions efforts in civil actions. In addition, he has served at the request of federal and state courts as pro bono counsel for indigent clients in several actions presenting significant questions of law.
John is a member of the American Bar Association, the Ohio State Bar Association and the Columbus Bar Association.
John received his J.D. from Yale Law School, where he was an editor of the Yale Law Journal. He received his B.A. from The Ohio State University.
John clerked for the Honorable Gilbert S. Merritt of the United States Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit.
Professional and Community Activities
- International Center for the Preservation of Wild Animals, Inc. (The Wilds), Board of Trustees, 2003-2016
- Columbus Zoological Park Association, Chairman of the Board, 1999-2000; President of the Board, 1997-1998; Board of Trustees, 1982-Present; Appointed Board, 1986-present
- Federal Bar Association, Columbus Chapter, President, 2004-2005
- Ohio Historical Society, Vice President, 2000-2001; Treasurer, 1997-2000, 2001-2002
- Franklin County, Ohio, Democratic Party, Chair, Judicial Recruitment and Screening Committee, 1995-2001; Executive Committee, 1985-present
- Catholic Social Services, Inc., Chairman of the Board, 1991-1993; Board of Trustees, 1987-1994
Honors & Awards
- The Best Lawyers in America, Columbus Appellate “Lawyer of the Year,” 2017
- The Best Lawyers in America, Appellate Practice, 2011-2020
- The Best Lawyers in America, Civil Rights Law, 2013-2020
- Columbus CEO, Top Lawyers in Columbus, 2010-2018
- Ohio Super Lawyers, Business Litigation, 2006-2007
- Fellow of the Columbus Bar Foundation since 1994
- Certificat pratique de français commercial et economique, Paris Chamber of Commerce, 1992
- Martindale-Hubbell AV Peer Review Rated
- 8/15/2018One hundred and thirteen lawyers from Vorys, Sater, Seymour and Pease LLP were recently selected by their peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America® 2019.