- University of Cincinnati College of Law, J.D., 1988, Order of the Coif
University of Cincinnati Law Review, 1986-1987
- Miami University, B.S., 1985
Bar & Court Admissions
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Ohio
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Ohio
- Admitted to practice law only in the states listed above.
Bill is a partner in the Vorys Columbus office and has a broad national litigation practice. He is a Fellow of the American College of Trial Lawyers. His current practice focuses on complex commercial cases, products liability, franchise litigation, shareholder disputes, fiduciary disputes, consumer protection and catastrophic personal injury, both defense and plaintiff. Bill defends numerous drug manufacturers in litigation involving prescription drugs and alleged catastrophic injuries related to them. Bill also has an active fiduciary practice involving trust and estate disputes. Bill has briefed and argued numerous cases in Ohio Appellate Courts and the Sixth Circuit Court of Appeals.
Career highlights include:
- Participation in a significant number of jury trials, bench trials and arbitrations around the country and throughout Ohio, including several that exceeded 20 trial days
- Successfully defended a consumer class action arising from alleged predatory lending practices
- Successfully represented a Fortune 500 company in class action and shareholder derivative suits arising from a significant stock price drop.
- Successfully represented a Trustee in litigation involving significant family disputes over a large family trust with substantial real and personal assets
- Successfully represented several oil and gas producers on energy disputes, including those involving leases
- Successfully defended a consumer action alleging fraud and violation of various consumer protection statutes arising from the sale of several automobiles. A defense verdict was rendered and significant sanctions were imposed against plaintiffs and their counsel
- Successfully represented a franchisee in a dispute arising from a violation of the Ohio Business Opportunity Act. A summary judgment was entered in favor of the franchisee
- Filed numerous successful motions to dismiss on behalf of various product manufacturers on claims abrogated by the Ohio Product Liability Act
- Successfully represented a shareholder in a business divorce that resulted in a mandate from the Court of Appeals ordering that the business be dissolved
Bill has spoken on general trial practice matters, including effective trial techniques, cross-examination of medical experts and the use of electronic demonstrative evidence in the courtroom.
Bill is a fellow of the American College of Trial Lawyers and a member of the Ohio State Bar Association and the Columbus Bar Association.
Bill received his J.D. from the University of Cincinnati, where he was a member of the University of Cincinnati Law Review and the Order of the Coif. He received his B.S. from Miami University.
Professional and Community Activities
- American College of Trial Lawyers, Fellow
Honors & Awards
- American College of Trial Lawyers, Fellow, 2017-present
- Columbus CEO, Top Lawyers in Columbus, 2010-2013, 2015-2016
- Ohio Super Lawyers, General Litigation, 2004-2019
- The Best Lawyers in America, Personal Injury Litigation, 2003-2019
- Martindale-Hubbell AV Peer Review Rated
- 8/15/2018One hundred and thirteen lawyers from Vorys, Sater, Seymour and Pease LLP were recently selected by their peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America® 2019.