- University of North Carolina School of Law, J.D., 1988, with Honors
University of North Carolina Law Review, 1986–1987
- Vanderbilt University, B.A., 1985, summa cum laude, Phi Beta Kappa
Bar & Court Admissions
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Tenth Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Ohio
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Ohio
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Wisconsin
Allen is a partner in the Vorys Columbus office and a member of the labor and employment practice group. He has represented employers across the country, defending discrimination suits and advising employers on union issues. Allen has successfully defended employers in wage and hour class actions and counseled employers through collective bargaining, strikes and picketing by unions. Allen has also successfully represented employers before the National Labor Relations Board and the U.S. Department of Labor concerning wage and hour and Family and Medical Leave Act issues. In addition, he serves as outside general counsel to large multi-employer benefit plans which involves counseling and litigation under ERISA and the Taft-Hartley Act.
Career highlights include:
- Defending employers in putative class action lawsuits alleging violations of the Fair Labor Standards Act and various state wage and hour laws
- Advising and counseling large employers targeted for “corporate campaigns” by national unions
- Defending employers in discrimination and ERISA suits in state and federal courts
Allen is a member of the American Bar Association, the Ohio State Bar Association and the Columbus Bar Association.
Allen has lectured on a variety of topics including the Americans with Disabilities Act, the Family and Medical Leave Act, the National Labor Relations Act, decisions of the National Labor Relations Board, Title VII and state discrimination laws and the Fair Labor Standards Act.
Allen received his J.D. with honors from the University of North Carolina School of Law, where he was a member of the University of North Carolina Law Review. He received his B.A. summa cum laude from Vanderbilt University, where he was Phi Beta Kappa.
Professional and Community Activities
- Employer’s Guide to The Fair Labor Standards Act and FLSA Employee Classification, Editorial Advisory Board, Thompson Publishing Group
- Fair Labor Standards Act Cumulative Supplement, Chapter Editor, BNA Books
- ABA Labor and Employment Section, Federal Labor Standards Legislation Committee
- Equal Pay Act Subcommittee, Chair, 1996-2003
- Sarbanes-Oxley Act Subcommittee, Member, 2003-2005
- Fair Labor Standards Subcommittee, Member, 2006-present
- Wage and Hour Laws Cumulative Supplement, Chapter Author, BNA Books
- Ohio Supreme Court Mentor, Lawyer-to-Lawyer Mentoring Program, 2006-2013
- Japan-America Society of Central Ohio, Board of Trustees, 2008-2017; Programming Committee Co-Chair, 2008-2012; Vice President, 2011-2013; President, 2014-2015; Immediate Past President, 2016-2017
Honors & Awards
- Chambers and Partners, Recognized Practitioner in Labor & Employment, 2018
- Columbus CEO, Top Lawyers in Columbus, 2010-2018
- Ohio Super Lawyers, Employment and Labor, 2004-2006, 2009-2019
- The Best Lawyers in America, Employment Law - Management, 2013-2019
- The Best Lawyers in America, Labor Law - Management, 2013-2019
- The Best Lawyers in America, Litigation - Labor & Employment, 2013-2019
- Fellow of the Columbus Bar Foundation since 1999
- Fellow of the American Bar Foundation since 2018
- Martindale-Hubbell AV Peer Review Rated Top Rated Lawyer in Labor & Employment, Martindale-Hubbell, 1999-2018
- 8/15/2018One hundred and thirteen lawyers from Vorys, Sater, Seymour and Pease LLP were recently selected by their peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America® 2019.
- 5/4/2018Vorys, Sater, Seymour and Pease is pleased to announce that 32 of the firm’s attorneys have been recognized among the leading practitioners in the country in the 2018 edition of Chambers USA.