- New York University School of Law, LL.M. in Taxation, 1989
- Stanford Law School, J.D., 1984
Stanford Journal of International Law, Managing Editor, 1983-1984
- Cornell University, A.B., 1981, cum laude
Bar & Court Admissions
- New York
- U.S. Claims Court
- U.S. Tax Court
Dan is a partner in the Vorys Columbus office and a member of the tax group. He served for many years as the head of the firm’s Federal Tax subgroup. His tax practice includes mergers, acquisitions, divestitures, partnerships, LLCs, joint ventures, S corporations, real estate, restructurings, workouts, venture capital, business planning, executive compensation, financing and equity transactions, international transactions and tax controversies. In addition to his tax practice, Dan also (i) regularly represents clients in organizing and operating LLCs, partnerships and other joint ventures and (ii) has provided extensive counsel to family office clients. He has experience working in French, German and Italian.
Career highlights include:
- Providing tax advice to over 1,000 clients (ranging from Fortune 50 corporations to closely held businesses and individuals)
- Structuring hundreds of mergers, acquisitions and divestitures
- Structuring hundreds of partnerships, LLCs and joint ventures
- Structuring dozens of like-kind exchanges under Section 1031 (involving real estate, aircraft, artwork, collectible automobiles and other personal property, including non-simultaneous, reverse and build-to-suit exchanges)
- Obtaining SEC exemptive orders for a family office under the Investment Company Act and the Investment Advisers Act
Dan is a member of the American Bar Association, the Ohio State Bar Association and the Columbus Bar Association. He is also licensed to practice in New York.
Dan has lectured on the tax aspects of mergers and acquisitions for the Columbus Tax Conference, the Business Tax Subcommittee of the Columbus Bar Association and the Capital Tax Club.
Dan received his LL.M. in Taxation from New York University School of Law and his J.D. from Stanford Law School, where he was the managing editor of the Stanford Journal of International Law. Dan received his A.B. cum laude from Cornell University and was a College Scholar.
Honors & Awards
- Columbus CEO, Top Lawyers in Columbus, 2010-2015, 2017-2018
- The Best Lawyers in America, Tax Law, 2001-2019
- Fellow of the Columbus Bar Foundation since 2006
- Martindale-Hubbell AV Peer Review Rated
- 8/15/2018One hundred and thirteen lawyers from Vorys, Sater, Seymour and Pease LLP were recently selected by their peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America® 2019.
- 8/11/2014Vorys recently advised Insight Bank on its sale to First Financial Bancorp, the parent holding company of First Financial Bank, National Association.