- The Ohio State University Michael E. Moritz College of Law, J.D., 2010, cum laude
Ohio State Journal on Dispute Resolution, Business Editor, 2009-2010
- The Ohio State University, B.S.B.A., 2002, cum laude
Bar & Court Admissions
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Ohio
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Ohio
- Admitted to practice law only in the states listed above.
Chris is a partner in the Vorys Columbus office and a member of the litigation group. His practice focuses on privacy, data security, and defending organizations in litigation and regulatory investigations arising from data security and privacy matters. He has helped numerous organizations navigate through data security incidents and the multitude of legal issues that arise. Chris counsels clients through payment card industry investigations, compliance with the Payment Card Industry Data Security Standards (PCI DSS), and resolution of credit card companies’ assessments. He also counsels clients through ransomware incidents and ransom payment considerations.
Chris also has significant experience working with clients to develop customized incident response plans and information security programs. He counsels clients on compliance with privacy laws and regulations, such as the California Consumer Privacy Act (“CCPA”) and California Privacy Rights Act (“CPRA”). He frequently presents on a variety of topics related to privacy and data security to professional and industry associations.
Notable experience includes:
- Serving as first-chair in jury trials in federal and state courts
- Representing clients in litigation where clients have been awarded over $32 million
- Defending a nationwide grocery store chain in multi-state consumer class actions, regulatory inquiries, and other matters arising out of data security incidents announced in the fall of 2014
- Successfully defending a bank against claims by a commercial customer that the bank was liable for unauthorized ACH transfers that occurred after a data breach
Chris is a Certified Information Privacy Professional (CIPP/US) and served as co-chair of the Columbus Chapter of the International Association of Privacy Professionals.
Chris served as a legislative aide to Sen. Jeff Jacobson, president pro tempore of the Ohio Senate, for five years. He also externed for the Honorable Maureen O'Connor, Supreme Court of Ohio.
Chris received his J.D. cum laude from The Ohio State University Michael E. Moritz College of Law. He received his B.S.B.A. cum laude in Management Information Systems from The Ohio State University.
Professional and Community Activities
- Chief Information Security Officers Executive Network, Host
- Nationwide Children’s Hospital Development Board
- Leadership Columbus Class of 2020
- International Association of Privacy Professionals Central Ohio Chapter, Past Co-Chair
- 5/16/2016Financial Services Alert: Narrow Win For Spokeo at The U.S. Supreme Court: Plaintiffs Must Demonstrate Concrete Harm Even For Statutory ViolationsIn a highly-anticipated opinion, this morning the U.S. Supreme Court overturned the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals’ decision in Spokeo, Inc. v. Robins.
- 3/4/2016Client Alert: Another Federal Regulator Steps Up Data Security Enforcement: CFPB Fines Online Payment Processor Dwolla for Lax Data SecurityOn March 2nd, the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau (CFPB) announced a $100,000 penalty and settlement with online payment processor Dwolla, Inc. (Dwolla) for weak data security practices.