- The Ohio State University Michael E. Moritz College of Law, J.D., 1988
- The Ohio State University, B.A., 1985, with Honors
Bar & Court Admissions
- Admitted to practice law only in the states listed above.
Anthony is a partner in the Vorys Columbus office and a member of the energy and environmental group. His experience is in environmental law, including matters involving the Clean Air Act (CAA), the Clean Water Act, The Comprehensive Environmental Response, Compensation, and Liability Act (CERCLA) and The Resource Conservation and Recovery Act (RCRA). Anthony represents industrial clients in permitting of new and old sources, including New Source Review (NSR) and Prevention of Significant Deterioration (PSD) under the CAA. His practice also includes defense of enforcement cases brought by government agencies and individuals as well as counseling clients in transactional matters. It also involves successfully defending environmental permits that are administratively appealed by environmental groups that are opposed to the permitted projects.
Anthony has experience representing a client in developing and PSD air permitting of a $9 billion ethylene cracker plant. He also has experience representing energy clients in the development and permitting of large cryogenic processing and fractionation facilities serving the Utica Shale, as well as providing assistance with permitting of hydraulically fractured oil and gas wells in the Utica Shale. In addition, Anthony works with clients developing large renewable and alternative energy projects involving everything from environmental permitting, financing, renewable energy credits, permit appeals, construction and contracting. Those developments included biomass, ethanol, and large solar projects.
Anthony received his J.D. from The Ohio State University Michael E. Moritz College of Law. He received his B.A. with honors from The Ohio State University where he was a member of Phi Sigma Alpha. Anthony is the Chair of the Air Regulations Subcommittee of the Ohio Oil and Gas Association.
- Anthony represented a company in the entirety of its PSD permitting of a $9 billion ethane cracker plant. That representation included the successful defense of the permit in an administrative appeal filed by several environmental groups opposed to the project.
- Anthony served as lead defense attorney in Ohio Valley Jobs Alliance, Inc. v. Butler and Southfield Energy Case No. 16-6886. The case involved OVJA’s attempt to revoke the air permit issued to a natural gas fired power plant that was valued in excess of $1 billion. OVJA appealed the air permit to ERAC based upon several allegations under the CAA. The defense was able to secure a dismissal at the hearing before ERAC.
- Anthony served as the lead defense attorney in Ohio Valley Jobs Alliance, Inc. vs. Butler and Harrison Power, LLC, ERAC Case No. 18-6960. The Ohio Environmental Review Appeals Commission (ERAC) granted summary judgment in favor of Harrison Power, LLC in an appeal filed by the Ohio Valley Jobs Alliance (OVJA). OVJA sought to revoke the air permit issued by the Ohio EPA for Harrison Power’s new $1 billion, 630-megawatt natural gas power plant which it is constructing in Harrison County, Ohio. Vorys also assisted with the initial development/construction and related issues and permitting of the power plant facility.
- Anthony is serving as the lead attorney on behalf of AMG Vanadium in the location, development and construction of a new vanadium manufacturing facility with a project value more than $300 million. Environmental work related to the project includes PSD permitting and due diligence. In addition, Anthony represents AMG Vanadium on a suite of environmental matters across their facilities.
- Anthony served as the lead environmental attorney in permitting and regulatory legal advice on the construction and operation of two cryogenic natural gas processing plants and one natural gas fractionation plant in Eastern Ohio with a combined capital cost of almost $1.5 billion. The permitting work included several plant expansions, Title V permitting and compliance work associated with federal and state regulatory requirements. This work included extensive interaction with the Southeast District Office of Ohio EPA and the Ohio EPA headquarters management, staff and legal counsel.
- For decades, Anthony has been the lead environmental attorney providing environmental regulatory and compliance counseling for all of Plaskolite’s facilities in North America. In addition, he has provided environmental due diligence transactional counseling related to Plaskolite’s acquisition of several industrial facilities across North America over the last 12 months, and the sale of control of Plaskolite to a private equity firm.
Professional and Community Activities
- Marcellus Shale Coalition, Member
- Ohio Oil and Gas Association, Chair, Air Regulations Subcommittee
- Energy and Mineral Law Foundation, Member
Honors & Awards
- The Best Lawyers in America, Environmental Law, 2020-2022