- The University of Toledo College of Law, J.D., 1986
- University of Dayton, B.A., 1983, cum laude
Bar & Court Admissions
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Ohio
- Admitted to practice law only in the states listed above.
Sheila is a partner in the Vorys Columbus office and a member of the finance, energy and real estate group. Her practice focuses on general real estate, real estate development and real estate financing. Her experience includes leading teams of lawyers in large-scale projects which require detailed coordination of multiple practice areas. In addition, she represents clients in the energy sector with oil and gas transactions, wind farm development, and financings of energy projects. Sheila's experience also includes advising clients on real property issues relating to environmental remediation compliance and bankruptcy proceedings.
Career highlights include:
- Fellow in the American College of Real Estate Lawyers, Board of Governors
- Representing developers in real estate development projects, including residential subdivisions, golf course developments, and mixed use developments
- Representing clients in site selection and development of processing facilities and data centers
- Representing borrowers in the refinancing of multimillion-dollar projects
- Representing one of Ohio’s largest oil and gas producers in a multimillion-dollar joint venture for the exploration and production of oil and natural gas
- Representing various energy companies and oil and gas producers in significant title matters, easement issues and other real estate concerns in connection with the exploration and production of oil and natural gas
- Representing lenders in connection with financing of power generation plants
- Representing lenders in connection with the financing of oil and gas
Sheila is a past Chair of the Real Property Law Section of the Ohio State Bar Association, and a member of the Columbus Bar Association.
Sheila is also active with the Energy & Mineral Law Foundation (EMLF), where she serves as President.
Sheila is a frequent lecturer at OSBA presentations and has spoken on a variety of real property topics, including annexation, zoning and land use matters, title matters, and drafting and reviewing documents for commercial real property transactions. She has also appeared frequently on “Legal Eagles” on WCMH-TV, Channel 4, the NBC affiliate in Columbus, Ohio. Sheila also presents at EMLF seminars on title issues and title standards. She has authored articles on real property matters and on oil and gas issues and related topics.
Sheila received her J.D. from The University of Toledo College of Law and her B.A. cum laude from the University of Dayton.
Professional and Community Activities
- American College of Real Estate Lawyers, Board of Governors; Past Chair, Programs Committee
- Ohio State Bar Association, Real Property Law Section Council, Chair, 2013- 2015; District 7 Representative, 2002-present; Secretary 2009-2011; Vice Chair, 2011-2013
- Energy & Mineral Law Foundation, Member; Strategic Planning Committee, 2013, 2018; Trustee, 2014-present; Executive Committee, 2015-present; President 2021-present
- American Association of Professional Landmen, Member
- Rocky Mountain Mineral Law Foundation, Member
- Commercial Real Estate Women (CREW) Columbus, Member, 1997- present
- CREW Network, National Recognition Committee, 2010
- CREW Network, National Education Committee, 2007-2009
- Columbus Bar Association, Young Lawyers’ Committee, Co-Chair, 1986-1989
- Central Ohio Cystic Fibrosis Foundation, Committee Event Chair, 1994-2019
- A Kid Again - Central Ohio Chapter, Committee Event Chair, 2020-present
Honors & Awards
- Fellow of the American College of Real Estate Lawyers since 2012
- Columbus CEO, Top Lawyers in Columbus, 2010-2015, 2017-2021
- The Best Lawyers in America, Real Estate Law, 2010-2022
- The Best Lawyers Consumers Guide for Real Estate
- Fellow of the Columbus Bar Foundation since 2005
- Martindale-Hubbell AV Peer Review Rated
- 8/15/2018One hundred and thirteen lawyers from Vorys, Sater, Seymour and Pease LLP were recently selected by their peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America® 2019.