- Case Western Reserve University School of Law, J.D., magna cum laude, Order of the Coif
Case Western Reserve University Law Review, Member, Notes Editor
- Oberlin College, A.B.
- Harvard University, Visiting Undergraduate
Bar & Court Admissions
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Ohio
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Ohio
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Texas
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Texas
- Admitted to practice law only in the states listed above.
Jackie is a partner in the Vorys Houston office and practices primarily in the field of labor and employment law, with an additional practice in online seller enforcement and privacy issues. She is the founder and former chair of the firm's Women’s Initiative and the host of the “Vorys at Work” podcast.
Much of Jackie’s practice focuses on the retail industry. In her employment law practice, Jackie helps retailers and other clients address issues of harassment and discrimination, workplace and online privacy, internal investigations, and employment-related administrative charges and litigation. She has conducted internal investigations for a wide variety of clients, ranging from Fortune 500 retailers to schools, universities, small businesses, and non-profits on issues ranging from harassment claims to data breaches. She also works with clients to coordinate crisis management and legal matters. As part of the Vorys eControl team, Jackie counsels businesses on issues related to e-commerce and online brand protection.
One of Jackie’s passions is creating and delivering effective, meaningful training programs designed to prevent a broad range of workplace problems and help companies protect their brands. She is called upon dozens of times each year to provide educational programming on a broad range of employment law topics, including internal investigations, social media, sexual harassment, workplace privacy, accommodating disabilities, and LGBT issues in the workplace. She has also developed “Employment Law 101” training for both supervisory and non-supervisory personnel, and adapts her training programs to fit the specific needs of individual clients.
Career highlights include:
- Successfully defending employers in numerous cases before the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, state discrimination agencies, and in state and federal courts involving all forms of employment discrimination.
- Working as a trusted business partner on the full range of employment-related issues.
- Representing the plaintiff in a major (and successful) challenge to Ohio's Medicaid reimbursement system for residential services for the mentally retarded and developmentally disabled.
Jackie is a frequent writer and commentator on a wide range of issues important to employers. Her recent publications include article in Law360 concerning best practices in harassment investigations and an article in the Houston Business Journal regarding “compassionate compliance” in the workplace following Hurricane Harvey. She has also been featured on Houston public radio discussing sexual harassment issues and strategies for preventing workplace violence. Jackie is a member of the American Bar Association, the Ohio State Bar Association, the Texas Bar Association, the Columbus Bar Association, the Houston Bar Association, The Houston Association of Women Attorneys, and the International Association of Privacy Professionals, and is a Certified Information Privacy Professional (CIPP).
Jackie received her J.D. from Case Western Reserve University School of Law magna cum laude where she was a member of the Order of the Coif and notes editor for the Case Western Reserve University Law Review. She received her B.A. from Oberlin College.
Professional and Community Activities
- Houston Grand Opera, Trustee, 2013-15
- Girls, Inc of Greater Houston, Advisory Board Member; Luncheon Co-Chair, 2015
- Phillips Exeter Academy, Class Agent
- Planned Parenthood Affiliates of Ohio PAC, Treasurer, 1997-2014
- Columbus Speech and Hearing Center Board of Directors, 2001-2010
- Friends of the Homeless Board of Directors, 1997–2006
- Southeast Mental Health Board of Directors, 2006-2008
Honors & Awards
- The Best Lawyers in America, Employment Law - Management, 2012-2019
- The Best Lawyers in America, Labor Law - Management, 2013-2019
- The Best Lawyers in America, Employment Law - Individuals, 2013-2019
- Ohio Lawyers Weekly Lawyers of the Year Award, 2003
- 8/15/2018One hundred and thirteen lawyers from Vorys, Sater, Seymour and Pease LLP were recently selected by their peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America® 2019.
- Spring 2018Sexual harassment is illegal. It has been illegal for a long time — over 40 years, in fact. It is, in other words, not new.