- The University of Chicago Law School, J.D., 1993
- Case Western Reserve University, B.A., 1990, summa cum laude
Bar & Court Admissions
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Ohio
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Ohio
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan
- United States District Court for the Western District of Michigan
- U.S. Supreme Court
- Admitted to practice law only in the states listed above.
- The Honorable Ann Aldrich, United States District Court for the Northern District of Ohio, 1993-1995
Marcel is a partner in the Vorys Cleveland office and a member of the litigation group. He focuses his practice on privacy, consumer protection, complex litigation, class actions, electronic discovery and appellate practice. He has frequently represented lenders in defense of consumer and commercial class actions, lender liability claims, and loan servicing claims. In addition, Marcel represents clients defending claims under the Truth in Lending Act (TILA), Regulation Z, the Uniform Commercial Code, Ohio's Consumer Sales Practices Act, Retail Installment Sales Act, and other theories of liability to consumers. He has also represented clients in shareholder actions challenging mergers and acquisitions, intellectual property litigation and general business litigation. He was recently appointed by the Court of Common Pleas of Cuyahoga County, Ohio to serve as a receiver over a manufacturing company during the pendency of a shareholder dispute.
Marcel also counsels clients with respect to privacy practices and allegations of data breach. He has defended class and individual actions raising data privacy, consumer protection, FCRA, TCPA and FDCPA claims. He has advised clients with respect to GDPR compliance, financial privacy compliance, and privacy policies and has counseled clients through the Privacy Shield certification process. He is a member of the International Association of Privacy Professionals and a Certified Information Privacy Professional (CIPP/US), a Certified Information Privacy Manager (CIPM), and a Fellow of Information Privacy (FIP).
He has spoken on subjects related to ESI and e-discovery, class actions, privacy, appellate advocacy and trial advocacy.
Marcel received his J.D. from The University of Chicago Law School and his B.A. summa cum laude from Case Western Reserve University.
Marcel clerked for the Honorable Ann Aldrich of the United States District Court for the Northern District of Ohio.
Professional and Community Activities
- American Bar Association Consumer Litigation Committee, Data Security Subcommittee, co-chair
- Sedona Conference Working Group II, member of Brainstorming Task Force on U.S. Enforceability of GDPR
- Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Association, past member of Board of Trustees, and past chair, Court Rules Committee, and co-chair, Bench Bar Committee
- Sub-Committee on Proposed Local Rule Governing ESI, past co-chair
- Anshe Chesed Fairmount Temple, Treasurer and member of the Board of Trustees
- Dobama Theatre, President and current member of the Board of Trustees
- United Jewish Cemeteries Association, Board of Governors
- Anti-Defamation League, current member of Board of Trustees, Civil Rights Committee and Education Committee, past participant in Glass Leadership Institute
- Eighth District Judicial Conference, Life Member.
Honors & Awards
- The Best Lawyers in America, Commercial Litigation, 2018-2020
- Martindale-Hubbell AV Peer Review Rated
- 1/3/2019Marcel Duhamel, a partner in the Vorys Cleveland office, recently earned his Certified Information Privacy Manager (CIPM), joining the ranks of more than 13,000 professionals worldwide who currently hold the International Association of Privacy Professionals (IAPP) certifications.
- 8/15/2018One hundred and thirteen lawyers from Vorys, Sater, Seymour and Pease LLP were recently selected by their peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America® 2019.
- 7/6/2017Marcel Duhamel, a partner in the Vorys Cleveland office, was quoted in a Law360 story titled “Record FCRA Verdict Highlights Privacy's Growing Value.”
- 3/3/2017Financial Services Alert: NY Cybersecurity Regulation in Effect – Covered Entities Have Initial 180 Day Transition Period to ComplyOn March 1, the New York State Department of Financial Services’ (DFS) Cybersecurity Requirements for Financial Services Companies (the regulations) went into effect.
- 5/16/2016Financial Services Alert: Narrow Win For Spokeo at The U.S. Supreme Court: Plaintiffs Must Demonstrate Concrete Harm Even For Statutory ViolationsIn a highly-anticipated opinion, this morning the U.S. Supreme Court overturned the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals’ decision in Spokeo, Inc. v. Robins.