- University of Cincinnati College of Law, J.D., 1974
University of Cincinnati Law Review, Case Note Editor, 1973-1974
- University of Exeter, England, 1973
- Ohio Wesleyan University, B.A., 1971, Pi Sigma Alpha
- University of Aberdeen, Scotland, 1969-1970
Bar & Court Admissions
- U.S. Supreme Court
- Sixth Circuit Court of Appeals
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Ohio
- Admitted to practice law only in the states listed above.
- The Honorable Julius J. Hoffman, United States District Judge for the Northern District of Illinois, from 1974 to 1976
Dan is a retired partner in the Cincinnati office. His practice is principally complex litigation, business litigation, and estate and trust litigation, with significant underlying jury experience. He is a Fellow of the American College of Trial Lawyers, where he has chaired two committees. He is a member of the American Board of Trial Advocates, and has been listed in Chambers USA since its inception. Dan is and has been consistently listed by Super Lawyers among the top 100 lawyers in Ohio and is in the top 10 for 2019. He is a founding member of the “Bet the Company” section of the Best Lawyers in America and has twice been named as "Bet the Company Lawyer of the Year." One source interviewed by Chambers USA described Dan as a “fantastic advocate, who doesn’t waste time or make things personal.”
Dan is a recipient of the University of Cincinnati College of Law Distinguished Alumni Award, has served on the law school’s Board of Visitors for many years, and taught trial skills as an adjunct professor for 15 years, having received the Adjunct Faculty Teaching Excellence Award. His first position upon graduation from law school was law clerk to Senior United States Judge Julius J. Hoffman. He has studied law in England and Scotland, and recently served on the Ohio Civil Justice Task Force to examine and recommend changes in the Ohio Rules of Civil Procedure. He is the immediate past president of the Legal Aid Society of Greater Cincinnati.
Professional and Community Activities
- American College of Trial Lawyers, Griffin Bell Courageous Advocacy Committee, Member, 2008-2012, 2014–Present; Chair, 2015
- American College of Trial Lawyers, Special Problems in Administration of Justice Committee, Vice-chair, 2006; Chair, 2011-2013
- University of Cincinnati College of Law, Adjunct Professor in Trial Advocacy, 1995-2009
- Legal Aid Society of Greater Cincinnati, Board of Trustees, 2008-present; President, 2015-2017
- University of Cincinnati College of Law, Board of Visitors, 2001-present
- Clinton County Bar Association, President, 1985-1986
- Wilmington College, Adjunct Professor in Constitutional History, 1979-1986
Honors & Awards
- American College of Trial Lawyers, Fellow, 2000-present
- The Best Lawyers in America, Cincinnati Bet-the-Company Litigation "Lawyer of the Year," 2013, 2016
- America's Top 100 Attorneys (Ohio), 2016
- America's Top 100 High Stakes Litigators (Ohio), 2017
- America's Top 100 Civil Defense Attorneys (Ohio), 2018
- Distinguished Alumnus Award, University of Cincinnati College of Law, 2013
- BTI Consulting Group, Superior Client Service, 2007
- Chambers and Partners, Leading Lawyer in Litigation: General Commercial, 2004-2018
- American Board of Trial Advocates, 2005-present
- America’s Leading Lawyers for Business, 2004
- Ohio Super Lawyers, Business Litigation, 2004-2019
- Top 50 Super Lawyers in Cincinnati, 2014-2018
- Top 100 Ohio Super Lawyers, 2004, 2008, 2015-2018
- The Best Lawyers in America, Commercial Litigation, 2001-2019
- The Best Lawyers in America, Personal Injury Litigation, 1995-1996 & 2007-2019
- The Best Lawyers in America, “Bet-the-Company” Litigation, 2007-2019
- Leading Lawyer in Business Litigation, Cincy Magazine, 2006-2016, 2018
- Adjunct Faculty Teaching Excellence Award, 2009
- Master of the Bench, Potter Stewart Inn of Court, 1996
- Fellow of the Ohio State Bar Foundation since 1987
- Martindale-Hubbell AV Peer Review Rated
- Top Rated Lawyer in Health Care, Martindale-Hubbell, 2013
- 8/15/2018One hundred and thirteen lawyers from Vorys, Sater, Seymour and Pease LLP were recently selected by their peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America® 2019.
- 5/4/2018Vorys, Sater, Seymour and Pease is pleased to announce that 32 of the firm’s attorneys have been recognized among the leading practitioners in the country in the 2018 edition of Chambers USA.
- 5/8/2015Vorys attorneys Dan Buckley and Beth Weinewuth will be presenting at the Clinton County Bar Association of May 8, 2015.
- Spring 2017Wilson v. Lawrence: Ohio Supreme Court Upholds Strict Interpretation of Statute Governing Presentment of Claims Against Estates; Rejects Argument of Substantial ComplianceCreditors of Ohio estates have little room for error under a decision handed down by the Supreme Court of Ohio on April 19, 2017.
- 8/27/2014On August 22, 2014, the Sixth District Court of Appeals affirmed on all counts a Williams County probate court’s September 2012 decision in favor of PNC Bank, National Association against successor trustee and beneficiaries’ various breach-of-fiduciary-duty claims. The decision in Newcomer v. National City Bank, (2014-Ohio-3619; 2007 Ohio App. LEXIS 6365 (Ohio App. 6th Dist.)) provides critical guidance for Ohio trustees on four key points of law.
- March/April 2013Vorys attorneys Daniel Buckley, Lisa Babish Forbes, Elizabeth Weinewuth and Elizabeth Davis Conway authored an article for the Probate Law Journal of Ohio titled "Important Guidance for Ohio Trustees: Newcomber V. National City Bank."