- The Ohio State University Michael E. Moritz College of Law, J.D., 1990
- Ohio Northern University, B.A., 1987
Bar & Court Admissions
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Ohio
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Ohio
- The Honorable Donald E. Calhoun, Jr. for the United States Bankruptcy Court for the Southern District of Ohio, 2000-2003
Brenda is of counsel in the Vorys Columbus office and a member of the finance, energy and real estate group. Her legal work has focused on collection, foreclosure, insolvency, bankruptcy, receivership representation and litigation.
Career highlights include:
- Acting as counsel for Receiver in SEC v. One Equity, in which the estimated estate value was more than $20 million, and the matter involved commercial litigation, turnover proceedings, and liquidation of American Depository Shares for a Chinese company. The United States District Court approved distributions of more than $3.5 million to allowed unsecured creditors (a return of 34 percent).
- Representing the Trustee, Myron Terlecky, in recovering more than $2 million for the estate and prosecuting adversary proceedings for claims in excess of $8 million in the Dublin Securities matter
- Acting as counsel for Receiver in Belfor U.S.A. vs. Woodland Meadows where the estimated estate value is $4.5 million and real estate assets were sold to the City of Columbus
- Acting as local counsel for Debtor in Chapter 11 proceeding of Techneglas, Inc., a subsidiary of Nippon Electric Glass Co., Ltd., a Japanese company, that involved liquidation of over $37 million of assets, union and PBGC negotiations, and claims in excess of $300 million
- Acting as counsel for Chapter 7 panel trustees on a regular basis
Brenda is a member of American Bar Association, the American Bankruptcy Institute, International Women's Insolvency and Restructuring Confederation (IWIRC), the Ohio State Bar Association, the Columbus Bar Association, and Central Ohio IWIRC Network.
Brenda has lectured on bankruptcy and insolvency, collection, foreclosure and receivership topics at various seminars.
Brenda received her J.D. from The Ohio State University Michael E. Moritz College of Law and her B.A. from Ohio Northern University.
Brenda was a law clerk to the Honorable Donald E. Calhoun, Jr. for the United States Bankruptcy Court for the Southern District of Ohio.
Professional and Community Activities
- United States Bankruptcy Court for the Southern District of Ohio Attorney Advisory Committee, Member, 2017-present
- International Women's Insolvency and Restructuring Confederation, Program Coordinator, Mentorship Program, 2006-2010
- International Women's Insolvency and Restructuring Confederation, Membership Director (IWIRC), 2004-2006
- International Women's Insolvency and Restructuring Confederation, Programs Director, 2001-2004
- International Women's Insolvency and Restructuring Confederation, Central Ohio IWIRC Network, Chairman and Newsletter Editor, 1998-2001
- Columbus Bar Association, Bankruptcy Committee, Chairman, 2006-2008; Judicial Liaison Committee, Chairman, 2008-2010; Pro Bono Committee, 2013-present
- Capital University Law School, Adjunct Professor of Bankruptcy, 2010
- Care Volunteer – providing instruction to high school students related to financial decisions, budgets, and credit issues, 2010-2014
Honors & Awards
- Columbus CEO, Top Lawyers in Columbus, 2010-2014, 2017-2018
- Fellow of the Columbus Bar Foundation since 2003
- Martindale-Hubbell AV Peer Review Rated
- 6/10/2016The Bankruptcy Judges and Chapter 13 Trustees for the United States Bankruptcy Court for the Southern District of Ohio have reviewed and approved a proposed District Wide Mandatory Form Chapter 13 Plan and proposed form Order Confirming Chapter 13 Plan and Awarding Attorney Fees.