- University of Cincinnati College of Law, J.D.,1984, Order of the Coif
The University of Cincinnati Law Review, Research Editor, 1983-1984
- DePauw University, B.A., 1981, magna cum laude
Bar & Court Admissions
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Ohio
Mel is a partner in the Vorys Cincinnati office where he is a member of the finance, energy and real estate group. His general business practice has an emphasis in finance, and he has represented many national and regional asset-based and structured finance lenders. His practice also includes franchising, acquisitions, sales of companies, multi-borrower, multi-jurisdiction (cross-border) transactions, acquisition financing, asset sales out of bankruptcy, multi-lender (club) deals, capital expenditure financing, negotiating subordinated debt and preferred stock arrangements with institutional providers of mezzanine capital, equipment leasing, workouts and restructurings.
Mel is a member of the American Bar Association, the Ohio State Bar Association, and the Cincinnati Bar Association.
Mel received his J.D. from the University of Cincinnati, where he was a member of the Order of the Coif and was the research editor of The Cincinnati Law Review. Mel received his B.A. magna cum laude from DePauw University.
In between his tenure at Vorys, Mel spent two years as in-house general counsel to a multi-state franchisor in the restaurant industry.
Professional and Community Activities
- A Kid Again (formerly Adventures for Wish Kids), Cincinnati Advisory Board Member, 2003-2011
- Annunciation Church, Finance Council, 1995-2005, 2007-2009; Parish Council, 2007-2009; St. Vincent De Paul Society 2009-present
- The New School, Treasurer, President, and Trustee, 1995-2003
Honors & Awards
- The Best Lawyers in America, Cincinnati Banking and Finance Law "Lawyer of the Year," 2016
- The Best Lawyers in America, Banking and Finance Law, 2003-2019
- The Best Lawyers in America, Franchise Law, 2006-2019
- The Best Lawyers in America, Financial Institutions and Transactions Law, 2005-2007
- Ohio Super Lawyers, Banking, 2004-2013
- Chambers and Partners, Leading Lawyer in Banking and Finance, 2003-2018
- Martindale-Hubbell AV Peer Review Rated
- 8/15/2018One hundred and thirteen lawyers from Vorys, Sater, Seymour and Pease LLP were recently selected by their peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America® 2019.
- 5/4/2018Vorys, Sater, Seymour and Pease is pleased to announce that 32 of the firm’s attorneys have been recognized among the leading practitioners in the country in the 2018 edition of Chambers USA.